Caulking a Slate Roof? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Caulking a Slate Roof? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 06:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Kathy,
What color is the roof, what does it look like?
Is the slate flaking? Picture of it like Thomas suggested is always nice.

As a roofer when I bid slate roofs repairs out, I have set amount of slate that I will do. When I am doing those set pc I will do additional things sometimes bibs and sometime a little clear silicone depending on how bad the problem is not brown. I try to use all my set pc for the real problems and not smaller thing. So it bepends on what the contract said and the roof may be that bad that it could be replaced!

Kathy Gulisano
Username: Gulisak

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your advice, I just ordered the Joe Jenkins' book. I just wish I came across this site before I hired my roofer. Well at least it's not over yet. Is it possible to have this caulking removed because this is exactly what I'm going to tell my roofer to do. I'll get some pictures posted asap.

Thomas Massie
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathy,

Perhaps he's using caulking where the proper thing to do would be to use hidden bib flashings? There are occasions (few and far between... e.g. the nail holes of ridge slates) where slate reference books recommend a "dab" of "caulk". Wholesale application of caulk to your slate roof is probably not a good thing. Hopefully an expert will be along soon to answer your question more thoroughly. A picture would speak 1,000 words if you could provide it. (you will get a lot more informed responses to your posting if you can attach a photograph) Sounds fishy that someone could predict the end life of a slate roof within 2 years. Maybe the slate roof, repaired properly, could be good for another 50 years, but the repair job currently being undertaken is a last ditch effort that the roofer knows will last no longer than 8 years?

Do you have a copy of Joe Jenkins' book? If your library does not have it, I would recommend buying it. Among other things, the book is an excellent reference for slate-roof-owners who want to avoid being "taken" by mis-informed, or otherwise incompetent, self-proclaimed roofers.

-Thomas

Kathy Gulisano
Username: Gulisak

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a question in regards to my slate roof. I just purchased a 70 year old house with an original slate roof. The roof is need of replacing in about 8-10 years, however at this financial point I decided to have patchwork done. I have a roofer that is replacing the cracked tiles, however I noticed that on certain spots of the roof he is caulking (looks like brown caulking, could it be something else?) in between the slates. I don't like the way it looks and I was wondering before I complain to the roofer, is this a common procedure (as I have never seen it before) or is he just saving himself from the proper way of doing the job?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration