Early 20th century ideas about Coloni... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Early 20th century ideas about Colonial-era slate roofs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have seen a few installation styles similar to the one you are showing where extra slates are installed underneath the existing field slates to create a bumpy look on the roof. What's odd about the roof you're showing is that the top slate on the pair is upside down (i.e. the back side is facing up), which is inexplicable. Generally, these unusual styles were the work of roofers who were attempting to create an artsy look. An example is shown below. Note that the extra slate underneath is left to hang out quite a ways.

textured black slate roof
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrea Lowery
Username: Andreaw

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for information regarding slate roofing "restoration" practices in the early 20th century.

I have attached some pictures of an 18th century house in the mid-Atlantic where a new slate roof was applied in the early 20th century (ca. 1905-1925). In this instance, rather than applying the slates in the typical fashion, some were shimmed or laid upside down, giving an uneven appearance to the plane of the roof.

Has anyone else encountered this practice?

My best guess is that it was an early 20th century idea of how an 18th century slate roof must have appeared - rougher and less finished - and that it was their attempt to approximate this appearance.

Any information or ideas that anyone has about this roofing practice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration