SNOW GUARD QUESTION Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » SNOW GUARD QUESTION « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

timothy griffin
Username: Gosox

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all replies.I talked to a few local slate roofers who agreed with our idea.We installed the new gutters and the retrofit snowguards.I also refered them to this site.Thanks again for the input!

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Snow guards could definitely help protect the gutter system.

jason winfrey
Username: 1roofpro

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tim, does this roof have swept eaves? if so the snow guards could cause problems w/ ice damming if not installed properly.

timothy griffin

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanx Slate_Man,the original arcitect's design is in a "storybook" design that has the exposed end rafters with a long curlycue design to which the original gutters were notched into,so I would have to alter those as well.The new gutters wil be 20oz,screwed every rafter(12" or 16")on center and we're using a heavy brass "buss bar" for straps.I'm sure this should be enough support.I'm unsure if the heavy retrofit snowguards pose more potential damage to the roof over the long haul than the protection they would provide to the gutters.I understand that quantity is the name of the game with snowguards.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well it could be fine but, you may make other issue on the roof from the snow and ice. What about adding wood brackets and or makeing copper ones to get the guuter down farther?

timothy griffin

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI! ive got a 77yr old english cottage style house with original slate.We're replacing the original 4" ogee(K style)copper gutters with new 20oz copper ogee.The house has steep pitches, 12/12,18/12 and higher.It has rafter tails,not facia,which are not long enough to allow the outside edge of the gutter to be below the roofline as I've seen you suggest.We're thinking of installing the berger retofit heavy duty snow guards as a way to help protect the gutters from sliding snow and ice.16'-20'rafter runs+steep pitches= banged up gutters? Good or Bad idea? Thanx for input!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration