Cleaning a slate roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Cleaning a slate roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_mortar (Old_mortar)
Username: Old_mortar

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tried some Restoration Cleaner to no effect. No sure which way we'll go next. Thanks!!

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 627
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like you say, it appears to be coming from the solder joint in the copper flashing. Have you tried a bit of muratic acid? Dilute it and do a little section to see the results.

Old_mortar (Old_mortar)
Username: Old_mortar

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any suggestions on how I might get these white stains of of my roof? They look like lead.The stains.......More white staining.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 603
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sound to me like the gutters were about shot and the bleach finished the job. It shouldn't have done it that quickly. Neutralize it with water. The rain should have done that already.

Admin (Admin)
Username: Admin

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This came via email today:

I had my Vermont slate roof cleaned two weeks ago. The fellow used chlorine to kill mold on the slate. This AM I woke up and saw water dripping from my gutters. There were about 200 little holes in my gutters. I found out later this AM that chlorine and copper donít mix and that chlorine will in fact corrode copper in no time. I will need to replace all my copper gutters, but I am more worried about my copper flashing, my copper snowbirds, and my flat copper roofs. All above were hit with the chlorine.

I called a corrosion engineer and he reccomended I wash off everything with lots of water. But in looking online Iíve seen that hydrogen peroxide will neutralize chlorine...Should I mix a little hydrogen peroxide in the water and wash my copper to hopefully keep it from corroding like the gutters?

Will the chlorine or hydrogen peroxide hurt the slate?

And what should the roof cleaner have used instead of chlorine to clean the roof?

Joseph Jenkins, Inc.

AF
Username: Tonyeriepa

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting bottom-most two rows. A few have what look to be exposed nail holes and a few look curved/cupped ... are they by any chance synthetic (they don't have a moss problem either)?

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 04:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would use the power washer on a low setting. If you don't feel that is the way to go. Start with the blech with a brush. I would suggest not to use a chemical solution. There are natural cleaning solution out there that may be the way to go. I think that I would fix the side wall with all the tar on it before I would cleam the moss. It should be flashed with 16 to 20oz copper and counter flashed with lead. The slate looks OK in that picture not to flaky. Is there a better picture of the slate from may be a window on the other side.

Elizabeth Heghinian
Username: Bbclarinet

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is the best way to clean a slate roof with moss on it, an acid soil and shady environment? Powerwashing? Chemical application? If the latter, which manufacturer's solution works the best? Or, is a 1 part bleach to 3 parts water solution best to use? Thanks in advance for the advice and the why behind taking the direction you suggest. My thoughts are to alter the pH chemically, but I could be wrong. The moss is more in the crevices than on the slate itself, but there is also some on the slate, albeit thinner.Slate Roof with Moss

Steve Lewis
Username: Steve

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is another photo.
Any thoughts on the type of slate?r2

Steve Lewis

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way I am very encouraged by your initial feedback. I am going to check with durableslate from Columbus Ohio for repair estimates and buy the Slate Roof Bible (assuming we close on the house). I want to restore and maintain this historic roof. Not many left - and I can't let this one go!!! It is a better day for taking pictures today - If the ones I provided are not good enough, I can go out with my zoom lens and get a couple of better ones. - I'm about 20 minutes from the house. By the way, I believe the house is east facing with a huge tree overhanging the front porch.

Steve Lewis

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The main roof looks MUCH better. Here is a photo. Does the lower roof need to be replaced? At least the front porch portion is not too big - the back is somewhat bigger. I guess cleaning doesn't seem to be an option :( Thanks for your help!roof - upper

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's hard to say for sure what type of slate it is from the photo. It looks like a north-facing porch, probably with tree overhang, hence the discoloration. Porches like this are notorious for being in poor condition due to foot traffic from painters, window cleaners, etc., etc. We often just reslate porches, although this one can still be repaired. The condition of the porch roof, in other words, is not a good indicator for the condition of the main roof. If you can send a shot of the main roof, we can probably identify the slate.

Steve Lewis

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 06:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a picture of a part of the roof. I have others if needed. If anyone can identify the type of slate and provide any insight on the condition, again I would appreciate it. I have a few days to have the house inspected but as long as the roof is not currently leaking we will probably go forward with the purchase and deal with this situation as best we can. I would really like to clean these pieces if possible. Again - thanks in advance for your help!roof 1

Steve Lewis

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 02:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone! My son just went into contract on a slate roof house in Ohio. We are very excited about the slate roof and want to restore and preserve it - but we don't have a lot of money. The roof doesn't look healthy to me although the current owner says it was inspected and repaired last year. I'll post some pictures tomorrow but besides there being several tiles that look cracked, slipped out of place, and possibly glued, there is a heavy layer of what looks like moss or some other dirt on most of the roof. Even if the slates are structurally sound (I doubt it) they look terrible. I am willing to work hard and carefully to clean them myself - if that is possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration