Monson ME. Slate Quarry Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Monson ME. Slate Quarry « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Luke Severance
Username: Lucass35

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sheldon slate products has a quarry and mill up there. They still run the mill making structural slate out of Vermont slate but they do not quarry/mine slate up there anymore. Too dangerous and costly.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 06:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have use the monson slate alot here in Northern Vermont but, only restoration. The quarry as far as I know is closed. It a great slate, as good as the day it was quarried. I am doing work on a church rigth know and is 100 years old this year. The roof is perfect besides some slate here and there. The North Counrty Black from Canada is very similar to Monson slate and is use by alot as a repair slate for monson slate roofs. You can find thta slate from The New England Slate Company in the New England area. I would say that Monson slate is better then the Vermont black. Joe Jenklin has been there and can tell you more.
I have posted some picture under slate siding that are reclaimed Monson slate. Here is one too.

Peter Laughlin
Username: Plaughlin1

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone had experiance with the slate from the Monson Maine slate quarry, i think they make a slate similar to Vermont black, was wondering what the company name was,quality and what colors they have.
Iv driven by several times but never had a chance to stop.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration