Adding Solar Panels to Slate Roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Adding Solar Panels to Slate Roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From what I have seen. You would want a bracket, that is attached to the roof deck / rafter. This bracket support would then be flashed and then counter flashed. Reinstall slate as needed. Then you would be able to install the solar panels or the hot water solar system to this bracket support. I would install the panel around 6 inches above the slate roof. So only the corners of the system (Additional supports may be need depeanding on how big the system is.) have the bracket supports. The bracket could be a pipe or wood blocking or others. Any wires or cable, you would want to pass throw a pitch pocket. (This is a copper flashing about 2" to 3" around filled with a resin, you can also make a cap for this flashing.)
Liam Tower

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would need more information about the way the panels would be attached to the roof. If on pipe brackets, it may be possible to fabricate pipe flashings.

Bobby
Username: B0bby

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi:
I'm looking into adding a solar hot water system, which would involve mounting a 4' x 10' panel on my 1930s slate roof. How would I best go about doing this? The panels aren't particularly heavy, but the do need sturdy brackets to be attached. Any tips?
Thanks in advance,
Bobby

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration