Slate Siding Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate Siding « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AF
Username: Tonyeriepa

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A great place to see a slate-sided downtown area is the little port of Honfleur in Calvados-Normandy. Lots of black slate can be seen on the town's website at:
http://www.grape-nutz.com/travel/euro05/honfleur1.html

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank guys. And yes Thomas that will be the next project. We see how that goes.

Thomas Massie
Intermediate Member
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

looks great! and it's finished!

I see some curved thingamabob framed there on the roof of your building. Got something ambitious planned there too? :)

-Thomas

ron kugel
Intermediate Member
Username: Slateworks

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liam, Did Martin help you or do the whole job? Just kidding, great workmanship! after seeing the little slate art emblem thought maybe Martin was in the area....Take care hope all is well. ron

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well what do you think?

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 06:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Speaking of slaters stakes, I added two new ones to the store today at http://www.slateroofcentral.com/store_stake.html

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 07:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to thank Martin for comeing to the 2007 SRCA conference and his demo on slate art. He used a hammer as a slaters stake to do all of his work. That inspired my self to hand craft my own slater stake. And would not have been able to make this pc of the goose with out it. You can always learn new/but old tricks. On the second goose, I broke only two pcs after changeing to the stake.

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is my second goose flying away.

Joe Jenkins

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pretty impressive.

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 04:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is my sloppy Germany-American style.

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 06:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is some progress.

Thomas Massie
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Be careful with the slate walk up to the mural... It looks convincing enough that people might walk into it and you could be left with a silhouette of a person instead of a duck! :)

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 04:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I am useing a vanishing point or its really a vanishing line. When the second half is done it will really come out. I was inspired by the pictures in Joe's book, two links from the resource guide in the book, and a Fine Homebuilding back cover. I am also think of doing a slate walk up to it, out of the same colors? Well we will see!

Thomas Massie

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow. It looks so 3D - was that intentional?

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Goose 1

Joe Jenkins

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice work!

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well what do you think??? Should I Stop?

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let see there this takes up!! This is not amateur hour.

Joe Jenkins

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liam (Slate Affiar, Inc.) will be doing a slate siding workshop at the SRCA conference, June 8-10, 2007 (http://www.slateroofers.org/conference_2007.html).

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 08:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Thomas, there isn't alot to say. Its really just like doing it on the roof, but your head lap can be less. It gives you a better look at the characteristic of the slate. Also you will have no painting to do after. On all the sideing I have done I use used slate so the colors are going to stay what they are for the most part. For most of the projects I did flash in the inside and outside corners. I use lead because it soft and forms to the slate and wall better. Keeping your slate flatter. I just buy rolls of lead from the local hardware store and cut it to size. I have never done any sideing with battens. The house with the black slate has a mix of plywood and 1" boards. The other was a older house, so it was all board. In your case I would do one of two things. One install a layer of boards or two use copper ringshank nails, with a sealant to install to the sides of your dormers. On one part of the my house and garage (the garage has green on it, see picture) the one with the black slate, there is apart that is only 1/2" plywood. I have had no problem yet, but it was a little bouncy.

This is reclaimed slate from a building on Long Island NY, bought from Steve Taren @ Taren Bros Slate Company Vermont.

Thomas Massie

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This slate siding looks awesome. These pictures are eye opening really - for someone like myself who hasn't seen siding like this. (Joe has a tempting picture of siding in his slate book too.) I went to the Slate Affair web site, and the copper work you have done is very nice too. The treehouse is over-the-top. :)

I would like to slate the sides of two small (dog-house-style) dormers. Do you have any tips/advice? (Or things to avoid?) It looks like you use a copper flashing detail at the tops of the windows - that makes sense. Do you think it is necessary to flash inside the corners where the walls form a 90, or not? Are there battens underneath? I'm doubtful whether my nails would hold in the OSB. (my walls are SIPs - those foam panels with OSB on two sides)

-Thomas

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 05:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made all the copper detail on a shear and 8 foot brake in Slate Affair Inc. shop. Useing the wood trim as some what of a pattern. If you have every seen the way vinyl is installed, it is about the same. Some soldering on the top of the windows and I use silicone under the copper in areas as extra protection for water travel.
You can see the sun burst has parts that drain in to the windows and needed extra work to make it water resistant.
Slate Siding 10

Joe Jenkins

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you make that copper siding, or buy it pre-fabricated?

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 06:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wait till the rich copper patina develops, which is going to last with the lifetime longevity of the slate siding.
Slate Siding 9

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What nice detail slate makes. Its great to know you will not have to paint it like the clap boards that were on the house before.
slate/siding

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 04:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More great slate siding, all hand cut.
slate siding 8

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 05:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Need help with that design or help with the layout on a job. Look no farther! Slate Affair Inc. can provide you with all that and more. A affair with slate is a life long commitment.
www.slateaffair.com
Slate siding 7

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a pcs of slate a person engraved and I installed it on a slate sided house next to the front door. Its old but still perfect. Slate is a long lasting and great looking product for all.

Slate siding 6

Joe Jenkins

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please send a CD to Joseph Jenkins, Inc. at 143 Forest Lane, Grove City, PA 16127. High resolution photos are best. I would prefer all of them so I can select what I need.

The basic info I need is how you did the installation. Battens? Solid boards underneath? Plywood siding? Air spaces? Etc., Plus info about your business. I can get that over the phone, although a sketch of the substrate might be helpful (e.g. batten system).

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can't beat local work. More slate siding to come.
Slate Siding 5

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like that alot Joe. I can mail you about 100 picture on a cd or I can e-mail you what I like the best. There are two house I have done and one shop. They will not be 100% done. One will be by the end of Feb. We will have to set up a phone call for what ever info you what. Both the houses and the shop are in Vermont. Slate Siding 4

Joe Jenkins

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow. Nice stuff. I'd like to do an article on slate siding in the next Traditional Roofing Mag. Can you email or send me these and more photos along with any info (or can I interview you over the phone)? joe at joseph-jenkins.com

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 05:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monson Maine slate,with green and red Vermont slate. Reclaimed from a job in Hudson Mass and the remainder from the Taran Bros Slate Co.Slate Siding 3

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slate siding layout and design from the roof to to the walls. Copper clading also available. Slate Siding 2

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration