PICS OF "CHINAS UNFADING BLACK" YEH ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » PICS OF "CHINAS UNFADING BLACK" YEH RIGHT « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 606
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have the gable end vents, how are they not going to be covered over with the insulation?

Is there going to be a flat spot at the top of the attic that will still be attic? Could you cut some 1 " insulation and put it between the rafters and spray the urethane insulation on that to keep a ventilation channel?

One thing about spraying urethane to the bottoms of the slate is that it will or may make it really tough to repair them in the future, especially if they are stuck together by the insulation! Just a thought

Mjpl (Mjpl)
Username: Mjpl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a homeowner who is considering spray on foam insulation so he can finish out the attic space. The only ventilation he has is gable vents, any concerns with "breathe ability" ? Slate roof on 1x8s

China_ad_slate (China_ad_slate)
Username: China_ad_slate

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 02:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes. So the buyer should be professional to distinguish the quality of roofing slate. It is very difficult to repair slate roof. Water and absorption and acid resistance decide the service life. So ADSLATE can offer the premier quality roofing slate.

Shanghai AD slate
http://www.cnslate.com
Nancy Rao

Angus Charlton
Username: Matthewcharlton

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We,ve had a lot of the same problem here in the UK. Usually if the slate is cheap it's fading and rubbish. Wang is right the best quarries are in Shaanxi province where we own a quarry. Always make sure that you see the BS680 certificate and that it has passed all parts.

Angus Charlton
www.matthewcharlton.com
Established since 1842
www.matthewcharlton.com
"top quality roofing slate"

Wang Cheng
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it is fading slate of China.
In fact, some dishonest supplier use fading instead of non fading slate, and some small trader buy slate without any knowledge from samll factory.
If some importer buy slate from non professional and non reputation company, this problem will often be happened.
In China, there are several quarries of black slate, only Shaanxi produce top quality slate, which is non fading slate WESTONE BLACK SLATE comply with ASTM S-1 standard.

Wang Cheng
http://www.westones.com

Stephen J Taran
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i DID NOT SEE THE SLATES WHEN THEY WERE NEW, BUT i HAVE THE OLD SLATE IN MY YARD AND THE BROWN ONES HAVE A DULL THUD WHEN YOU TAP THEM AND LOOK A LITTLE DIFFERENT TO. THE SOLID BLACK ONES HAVE A NICE TRUE RING AND SOUND HARD AS STEEL, i THINK THOSES WOULD LAST ALONG TIME. I KNOW IT IS SEVERAL DIFFERENT BATCHS OF SLATE MIXED, i WONDER IF THE BAD ONES WERE HIGHER UP IN THE MINE, OR A TOP SLATE

Jim Korczak
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those are some amazing pictures Steve. It appears that some of the worst slates are actually curled or warped???

I have to say that 30-40% of those slates look to be of very poor quality, yet the balance look fine. Couldn't the contractor tell the poor ones from the "good" ones when they went down? Strange.

Stephen J Taran
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are a few pics from a 200 square job we are completing in the Boston area. The first roofing contractor thought he would save some money per square and buy Unfading black roofing slate from china, through a local slate company.
this is what happened not even 2 years. later, REALLY UNFADING HUH?? most of the slate did not even meet ASTM S-3 quality standards. However the company that sold this slate to the roofer did back their warranty and replaced it with all new Veremont roofing slate. Since then Vermont Slate and roofing where called upon to re do this job, so with only 5 to 8 slaters we ripped of 200 square and reslated it in 7 weeks including several lost days to rain. The eves are 32 feet from the ground, I will post the new roof pics very soon SEE PICS

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration