Soldering Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Soldering « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen J Taran
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

here you can buy tips that are already pretinned and you do not have to worry about it. Also Terne I belive requires less heat to solder than copper due to that it has solder like properties.
www.nabocker.com

ron kugel
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would say to much heat pitted the tip--As the iron gets hot enough to melt the solder,let a few drops drip on to your sal-amoniac cake,tin your iron by rubbing it against the cake and your melted solder,the solder should adhere to your iron,and the cake should smoke...if you have heated your iron to much before or after properly tinning it you will have to clean your iron & re-tin it...heat the iron up slowly,apply heat as needed to tin the tip or sweat the joint,or turn on low or off if not in use...clean your iron by manufactures instructions, I do not have a sievert,but I clean my irons by heating them up to red hot,then pound off the scale with hammer and then use a metal file to expose a clean copper surface...also at times when you are soldering, heat the irons slightly and rub then on the sal-amoniac cake or dip them into ruby fluid this will help clean and tin the tips while you are soldering.good luck.

Paul Kinkus
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am attempting to install a soldered flat-seam terne roof with a Sievert iron. In my first practice attempts the tip quickly pitted severely. Then I lowered the heat as much as possible. I still had trouble keeping the tip tinned. After a couple of hours of trying, I still haven't figured out the best angle to hold the tip on the seam. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration