Slate for Crafts Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate for Crafts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jumbo (Jumbo)
Username: Jumbo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FOR SALE: Piles of slate roofing pieces for crafts. Various sizes. Make an offer by the piece or for the whole lot. Pittsburgh, PA 412 606 8696. agmistretta@yahoo.com

John Chan
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try our Durable Slate Louisiana office at 504-899-8422. You can talk to Ryan.

Debbie Miley
Username: Nana

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know all these are old posting, but I am looking for slate to paint on. I live in Louisiana

Shelly
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for slate for crafts and painting. I was wondering of your company sells that kind of slate. If you do what would the price of it be. Shipping etc.

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where do you live, Shelly? There may be slate roofing contractors near you who have slates for sale. The largest part of the cost is in shipping and handling, as slates are heavy. I do sell slates for crafts, but mosty for pickup here at my slate stockpile in western Pennsylvania. If you live in western PA or pass by here when traveling, then you can come and get whatever you need.

dave
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for slate in quantity to roof a studio yet to be built. Is there a barn out there that any one is willing to let me remove the tiles from? I am not sure of the cost of new compared to recycled and the advantages or disadvantages. Is there any one out there to enlighten me? thanks, Dave

BETTY MCKINNEY
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I HAVE A SLATE ROOF AND WANT TO REPLACE IT WITH SHINGLES AND CAN NOT AFFORD THE NEW ROOF AND WAS WONDERING IF MY SLATE ROOF WAS WORTH ANY THING CAN I GET SOMEONE TO BUY MY SLATE

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the slate is good enough to recycle, it is good enough to remain and restore on your roof. A hard, recyclable slate should be maintained, not removed. It is almost always cheaper to restore a slate roof then to replace it, and a restored slate roof will last *much* longer than an average replacement roof. I have seen many people remove a good slate roof and put on asphalt or fiberglass shingles, only to have to replace the shingles again and again when the original slates were put on another building and remained in good condition indefinitely. If the slate is shot, on the other hand, then it cannot be recycled and is worth nothing. Read about this subject in the Slate Roof Bible and maybe save yoursdelf a lot of money.

Kristine Snyder
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2001 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shelly you may call Kristine at 814-456-5546 for craft slates or 814-323-1560 She has over 100 shapes and sizes.

DRicci
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have remove the slate roof from a barn in MA.
I have 500 12x18 slates.
Is there an market for these slates?
If so what is the going rate?

My thanks in advance,

DR

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I removed a slate roof in New Haven, CT. I have 2000 8x12 pieces. Is there a market for these tiles? What is the going rate?

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try contacting some of the people on the list on this site at http://www.jenkinsslate.com/usedslate.htm

The closer they are to you, the more interested they'll probably be. Also, contact any roofers on the directory on this site who may be close to you. They may also be interested.

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why does Anonymous-- June 25-- in New Haven CT want to be anonymous? He/she does not leave an email address. What does Anonymous have to hide? Hate to say it, but if you can't value used slate, you should not be advising/ working on slate roofs. I hope you did not tear off a perfectly good roof that just needed restoration. Tarbaby perhaps?

lisa bathurst
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for used roofing slate! free or reasonable! I will catch or remove for you! I live in Erie ,PA. I would appreciate any information on where i could get some! My e-mail adress is cookinsmygame@aol.com
thanks,lisa b.

Linda Carroll
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2001 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently purchased a home in Plainfield CT. It has a slate roof (looks like a mix of red and gray) on both the house and the garage. The home was built in 1918. I will need to have it repaired or replaced with a different kind of roof, depending on how expensive it will be to replace/repair the existing slate. I am considering selling it to someone who purchases slate. Do you have any contacts or suggestions as to what my options are? Would it be possible for you to email me at linda_carroll@groton.pfizer.com

Linda Carroll

admin
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2001 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gray/red slate is usually repairable and does not need replaced. The rule of thumb is that if the slate is good enough to buy, it's good enough to keep on the roof. The slate you're describing is "sea green" slate and generally lasts at least 125 years, maybe much longer. See my web page - how to identify your slate - at http://www.jenkinsslate.com/identify.html

N. Dell
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two original slates from my childhood home. I want to cut them, paint them and give them to my siblings as gifts. Can anyone tell me how to cut a slate shingle? Thanks.

admin
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2001 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use a slate cutter. They're available on this site for $50 at the "store" (the link is on the left side of this page).

Joe Smalldon
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is the thought on the product roofshield for
slate underlayment on a12/12 pitch

Joe
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never heard of it.

Jim Germond
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"What is the thought on the product roofshield for
slate underlayment on a12/12 pitch"

Do you mean Ice & Water shield?

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, folks, the Pearson slate cutters on this site have gone up in price to $60. You guys should have got one at $50 while you could. The Fulton ladder hooks are now $26 (up from $25). Other than that, there are no more price increases regarding tools in the Jenkinsslate.com store, nor none expected. I might add that the Stortz right hand slate hammer has been dropped in price from $109.00 to $99.00 in order to make it more competitive with the Gilbert and Becker slate hammer ($99.00).

The slate cutters and the ladder hooks are my two fastest selling items, by the way. These are tools that have been manufactured for many decades in the US and you never know when they will no longer be available. Pearson went out of business in the 80s due to a death in the family I'm told, and the cutters disappeared, but a family member (of the Pearsons) revived the cutter manufacturing business for the time being. I always keep two in my truck at all times (one for on the roof, one for on the ground).

Joe Smalldon
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roofshield is a breather membrane manufactured in
the UK by a company named Daltex to be used as a underlayment for slate, tile etc. Just wondering
if any one has ever used or heard of it.

david andrew
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI i am a Roofer from scotland . over here we use a scotch slate that has to be hand cut on site with a slate hammer and stake . has anyone used these slates before they come in random size and random thicknes you start with your largest slates at the eaves and reduce or lap as you get to the ridge

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scottish slate is beautiful and probably one of the most durable and long lasting slates I have ever seen. We went over there for the world slating and tiling championships about a year and a half ago (Edinburgh). The next issue of Traditional Roofing will be about graduated slate roofs and I'll have a photo or two of Scottish slating styles.

By the way, the next championships is supposed to be in Dublin, Ireland this fall. We'll be going with a number of American slaters (as observers and probably as Guiness drinkers). I'll be posting information about it in the Traditional Roofing newsletter as well as on this message board, once I get the details.

david andrew
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for your reply joe it good to see that i am not the ony one who thinks scotish slate is one the best looking slate you can get {if you can get it that is } we have to use second hand slates !! is there many roofs in the U.S.A have scotch slates ??
hope you have a good time over in Ireland .

joe
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never seen a single slate roof over here in the US with Scottish slates. I did see some slates at an archeological dig on the east coast of Newfoundland from the 1600s, in perfect condition, that looked a lot like Scottish slates, but's that about it. They may have been brought over as ballast on the ships.

Jeff
Posted on Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you recommend any contractors in NE Pa that work with slate and can install a slate roof for new construction.

Thanks

elena gilbert
Posted on Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably, at this late stage, I will never build the house of my dreams which would certainly include a slate roof. However, I have taken up decorative painting and would like to find some slate for painting projects. I live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Anybody know here where I could find some slate within driving distance for that purpose?

David March
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 80 sq. of unfading grey green salvaged from an old church. They are solid enough but covered with 50 years of "pollution I tried pressure washinf at 3000 psi. I could not believe the water did not touch the black coating. Can I try and acid product ?? Any other ideas

admin
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What size are they? What shape?

David March
Posted on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slates are random x 20", and good solid condition except for a soot ? coating near the edges which were exposed to the weather.

admin
Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know any way to get that stain off.

SlateGuy@neslate.com
Posted on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try a scrub brush and some low-wage labor. Add some white vinegar to the water.

I don't know of any easy way to clean them.

Boalsie
Posted on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had success cleaning slate by using a wire welder's brush and spic 'n span/H20 solution. It is a laborous process but results in "clean looking" slate.

SLATEWORKS
Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FOR SALE- 20 SQUARE OF 24" X 14" VERMONT SEA GREEN SALVAGED SLATE: $3,500.00 : 15 SQUARE OF 22" X 11" VERMONT SEA GREEN SLATE WITH A LOW BEVEL CUT ON CORNERS $1,850.00 ..PHONE: 724-316-7702 LOCATED 30 MILES NORTH OF PITTSBURGH,PA.

geordieexile
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi my name is dave pearce
i came across your web page by accident may i congratulate you on a great web site
I im a slater with 30 years experience
I am now a college lecturer in the roofing buisness in suffolk england teaching about 30 trainees its good to see the slating trade is alive and well please feel free to e mail me as i would love to compare practices from the usa as to here in england e mail geordieexile@aol.com

ken
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In order to install slate, does the roof have to be reinforced if slate is replacing asphalt shingles ?

Is there a composite look alike for the slate roof which is lighter in weight? if so where can you purchase and cost per sq.?

admin
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roof reinforcement is a hard question to answer without knowing more about the house construction. Most homes built before 1960 or so, with steep roofs (greater than 8:12 pitch) were constructed in a manner that is suitable for slate. Some of today's construction is cheap and under-built, with 1/2" plywood decking, low slope roofs, etc, and would not be advisable for slate.

Curt Noack President
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have a huge inventory of new reproduction slate at 89.00 a square that were 225.00 per square on closeout.Great for new ,old and craft projects.
Eagle Distributors Inc.
Palm Pa.
215-593-4189
info@eagledistr.com

admin
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is new reproduction slate?

Tipperaryboy
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spent some time in Ireland and saw a craftsman many years ago who took a slate roof tile and had somehow cut a hole in the center of it and installed a mirror. So, he ended up with a mirror with a slate frame.It was beautiful, and I'm wanting to try the same. I've never worked with slate. How would one cut out this hole without breaking the tile. Thanks for any help

Terence
Austin, Texas

Clay H.
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tipper,

I believe the hole could be cut out by drilling numerous holes in the center making a perforated rectange/square of the desired hole size and then removing it. The edges can be cleaned up by using a die grinder and/or sandpaper. Good luck.

Clay H.

admin
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's easy to cut slate in that manner with a diamond blade on a grinding tool or a tile saw. If you want to do it roughly by hand, you can perforate the slate by punching it with the punch on a slate hammer (or even use a hammer and a nail), knock out the center, then dress the rough edge by tapping against it with a hammer.

Mark Meinhart
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am desperately searching for nail pullout requirements for a steep (18/12 Pitch) slate roof. Any place I can find this info.?

admin
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What do you mean "nail pullout requirements"?

slateworks
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think they may have a concern on such a steep pitch-Can a certain length and diameter nail (size of the head may be an issue?)hold the slate in place safely.Penetration of the nail thru the sheating should also be a factor.I have repaired some mansard type slate roofs(steep pitch section)most were nailed the same as a typical slate roof_ 2-1.5"copper or galvanized nails thru 1/4" slate_ _I have run into a few that had 4 nails per slate(2 on each side)which was not a bad idea since the building was located in an area with alot of pedestrian traffic.We also installed a slate roof on a store front(steep pitch)and written in the specs-4 fasteners per slate-Just a saftey issue.Where to find out about "nail pullout requirements"or how much weight a nail can hold on a steep pitch ,you may have to contact one of the nail manufactures?I can see if your slate are going to be 1/2" or over in thickness you may want to increase your length and diameter of nail to help hold the extra weight.

admin
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try contacting Swan Secure Fasteners (Bart Sawn) at 410-360-9100; or Fastener Solutions, 973-253-7001

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I plan to install 4-6 squares of 12" x 1/4-3/8" slate this summer on the rear of a 1920s house in Erie PA that used to be slated but was shingled by the previous owner 10-15 years ago. The roof slope is 10:12. I'm considering laying the slate directly over the existing single cheap-shingle + 15lb felt layer and need to know if there are reasons why I shouldn't do this!
Two reasons that I can already think of are: 1) the existing shingle has a 5.5" exposure and my slate will have a 4.5" exposure ... I'm wondering if this will cause a visible irregularity in the lay of the slate courses (the roof decking under the shingle is good, planar, and solid); 2)I also will replace the existing tarred galvanized steel valleys with copper and realize that to do this properly, I need to remove shingle in the valley area anyway! Any suggestions are welcomed.
Tony F
Glenwood Heights, Erie PA
PS: Where's a good place to get rosin paper?

Walter Musson
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is no good reason to overlay and many resons why you wouldn't want to.

admin
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Definitely take the old roofing off before installing the slate.

You can get rosin paper at 84 lumber, for example.

Clueless Liz
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Help! My husband and I bought a 1900-era house two years ago knowing the asphalt roof was nearing its life end. We got a $4000 credit from the seller for replacement. NOW, we are getting estimates and in that process a roofer has discovered a secret layer of slate under the asphalt that we previously thought was a layer of older asphalt. He says that the first layer being slate doubles the cost of a whole roof replacement (From about $7000 to $13000). Is this right? It seems to me that tearing off and throwing away slate should be about the same cost as tearing and throwing away asphalt...

admin
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Liz, your roofer sounds dishonest. We usually charge about $100/square for removal of slates prior to re-slating. Removal of slates is actually easier than removal of asphalt shingles in many cases as there are only two nails per slate. It would be reasonable for your roofer to tack on an additional removal fee upon discovery of the slate layer, but almost doubling the cost of the job reeks of dishonesty.

Joe Jenkins

carol
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i live in lower hudson valley ny and am looking to buy used roofing slate. need several hundred or up to a thousand--will be used for craft purposes. does anyone have such a quantity within driving distance so that i can arrange for pickup? thanks.

slateworks
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, How close are you to Dogleville,NY (I think that's the town ) I have purchased some slate and I have to move them soon..They are on pallets ,3000 pcs. 7" x 12" and 10" x 12" sea green slate. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks, Ron 724-316-7702

chris dunsky
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is your zipcode, Carol? I can use it to figure shipping cost to your home of some slate I have.

thanks,

CJD

Marie Bauerlien
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I am looking for roofing slates for crafting. I live in the Baltimore, Maryland area. Can you help me? Thanks, Marie

jchan
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try Bernie over at Gummer Slate. He's got quite a bit of slate in stock. He's just north of downtown.

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have old roofing slates, dark blue 1 ft x 8 inch approx sz about a 100 0r more if anyone is interested. We live in mass.

roywang
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re: Supplying Chinese Roofing Slate.

We are professional producer and exporter of roofing slate in China, if you are in need of such products, you can contact us freely by:
Tel: +86-21-54224340,
Fax:+86-21-64065640,
Mobile:+86-133-79150688,
email: roywang2003@hotmail.com,

We will alway immediately reply to your enquiry email. Look forwarding to hearing from you.

Thank you.

shawn
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 05:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 1905 Tudor style home with a brick lower half that needs a roof replaced. There are two layers of asphalt shingles and the original shakes that need to come off. I am considering a slate roof and my wife would like the slate to match the brownish brick. The home is in southeast Minnesota.

I have a few questions/concerns:

The roof is quite steep on this home, with a slope of approximately 10:12. I'm unsure if the weight of a slate roof might be a problem. It doesn't appear there are too many experienced slate roofers in the upper midwest. Is it necessary to have someone who has previous slate roof installation experience or can a general roofer install such a roof? Does anyone recommend a lattice work system such as the Nu-Lok?
What can one anticipate paying for a slate roof installation in an area of the country (Minnesota) where there aren't that many slate roofs?

mike b
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have about 20 sq of slate roof shingles to sell. they are the 14" slate tiles. my phone number is 804-720-8763....only serious bids please. mike

tmccdon
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what are they,new, used,vermont,what color,widths and thickness,more info, please

Karen Klein
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband and I are making indoor/desktop and some outdoor fountains. We got some pieces of slate (beautiful) that were 16 x 16 and we would like to have it half thick (from 1/4" to 1/8"thick and also have it cut down lengthwise a bit, but we don't know who would do this sort of thing (if feasible) and how much they would charge to do it. Where do we look for someone just to do this? It's just for 3 pieces.

Also, they now have, somewhere, GENUINE FLEXIBLE SLATE. But in order to get it, you have to buy their fountains. Flexible slate is slate that's been infused with resin, making it pliable.

nancys
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some old slate from a log cabin circa 1820-1840. The shinles are very pretty, large and I'm told vermont weathering green slate that normally lasts 200-300 years. I'm having the log cabin dismantled and restored. I'm looking to sell the shingles since they will not be reused by the log company restoring the cabin. I thought they might be really neat for crafts and paintings. If interested email me at nslusar@adelphia.net and I can email you photos.

Michelle
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 03:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello! I am also looking for slates roofing tiles for crafts & artwork. I live in Cincinnati. Joe Jenkins are you at all close to new castle pa? Have family there and wouldn't mind a trip to Pa for pizza and wedding soup lol
I saw duarable state has a office here but not much info/prices on website so I will call Monday. But it seems have limited colors etc to choose from. Thanks!
Michelle

admin
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We're 30 minutes northeast of New Castle. We have *lots* of slates available for craft purposes, cheap.

Joe Jenkins

james valley
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

slate roof tile 1/4" how can i thin it to 1/8" to use it for turkey calls

jim

admin
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can buy turkey call slate from Penn Big Bed (Penn Big Bed Slate Company, Inc. , PO Box 184, 8450 Brown St., Slatington PA 18080; Ph: 610-767-4601; Fax: 610-767-9252)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration