Soldering copper gutters Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofing Instructional Materials » Soldering copper gutters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bstinelli (Bstinelli)
Username: Bstinelli

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there again, i'm curious i know people use ruby fluid to clean up their copper work after their done, however i'm just curious is there another option for shining that copper up when finished? i heard you can use sal ammoniac in water, i noticed on in some of the pictures i've seen in articles the copper almost looks untouched and their seams stay silver, my seams turn grey after a day or so just curious if anyone has some tips for me thanks again

Bstinelli (Bstinelli)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 02:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have an express iron love it...just soldered copper k noticed if you flux wipe the joint than flux again and start soldering you get better results i use just the tip of the iron ride that bubble and bump the tip to where you want the lead to go hehe if you dont see your ruby fluid smoking than add more i really like the express but i think for vertical seams on flat work a chisek might be a little easier especially if you only tin one side of your iron seems a little pressure on the high side of your seam works wonders for capillary action i also noticed on long verticals if their straight up and down your better of angling it so you have gravity to help you (this isnt always possible) im not a master at copper but ive soldered alot of built in gutters made from #40 terne and i think its way hard to solder because it warps easy from heat ....heat transfers great to copper even rivets if you lay a bubble and touch the side of the rivet with your iron itll draw sorry i know this is long i like this board though wish there was more posts

Bstinelli (Bstinelli)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there Joe, I know you must be a busy man. My name is bob stinelli i'm what you would call an asphalt (classic shingle roofer) hehe i know you're not big on shingle roofs my apologies I recently purchased your book and have learned alot from your web videos and these forums many thanks and much appreciation...I have some slate knowledge from my old boss anyways i noticed early in your book about some of the carpentry ( the parts about the racoon) anyways i was just curious if your read the Sloan books like "America's Vanishing Landscape" stuff like that in my college years i wrote a paper on the early carpenters german ingenuity etc... I really appreciate all the information seriously , some day i live close to zeli i would like to take some of your workshops especially soldering vertically...I have a hard time getting that bubble to stay at the tip of the iron and to get a good bleed (vertically) I do try to do slate repairs correctly and i hope to someday just repair slate and tile roofs (there are alot of them in mt Lebanon) thanks again i know this post might seem ambiguous , but i'm really worn out from all the ice damage this winter thanks again

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 522

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We own both types. The electric is preferred, but the propane is used when the weather is cooler.

Bottsbayahoocom (Bottsbayahoocom)
Username: Bottsbayahoocom

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I did, and watched the youtube videos also. The question is: if you were going to buy just 1 iron (and it seems I like the electric model), but is that harder to use in colder weather? If you were doing mitred corners with 5" half round, is electric going to be the best choice or should I get the gas iron?

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 521

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you looked at the soldering irons at slateroofwarehouse.com?

http://josephjenkins.com/store/solder-irons/

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also I work in Washington state, the winters aren't that cold but I would probably be working outside in some cool weather. Is that an issue?

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have installed galvanized half round gutters. Want to do a copper job and start learning soldering. What would be the best iron and other equipment to get?
Thx

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration