Flange Gutter Replacement A Must? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Ceramic Tile Roofs » Flange Gutter Replacement A Must? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sure looks like that flange is copper. If it is, just use a copper gutter, tuck it behind the old flange and pitch it towards the downspouts. this method is used all the time.

Mr_clay (Mr_clay)
Username: Mr_clay

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Old School.

I see the remaining flange will act as the drip edge. Is this a common method of replacing flange gutters? I would be a lot more comfortable doing it this way if it is.

Actually, I had a welder come out to patch up the gutters, but he was unable to because, according to him, they are a galvanized metal. The downspouts are definitely galvanized. So this means that if I replace with this method, I have to replace with galvanized gutters to avoid contact of dissimilar metals? What if I angle the galvanized drip edge in a way that it will not touch the copper gutters, will that work ? Probably not, since the new gutter has to be tucked up against the drip edge?

Thanks again

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The easiest way is to strike a line on the flange a couple inches below the tile and cut it off. then, You can install eth new gutter behind that and the drip edge works. You don't have to take off the tiles along the bottom either. It looks like the existing flange is copper, so you are going to have to use copper gutters.

Mr_clay (Mr_clay)
Username: Mr_clay

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

Im in the Chicagoland area and have a Ludowici closed shingle clay tile roof that needs new gutters due to leakage in a few locations. The existing gutters are 6inch K style galvanized metal and are high back (flange, apron gutters they extend up between the deck and tiles 4 inches). I would like to replace with copper gutters.

I have a few questions:

1) Do the gutters have to be replaced with flange gutters or can they be non-flange? I had a contractor give me a quote for aluminum non-flange gutters.

2) The tiles are nailed. What is the best method to remove the tile?

3) How many rows of tile are removed to replace with new flange gutters?

Thanks in advance

Pic

pic 2

pic 3

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration