Out of square? You bet. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Ceramic Tile Roofs » Out of square? You bet. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mjh
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 04:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About 90% of my work here in England consists of stripping old roofs and re – tiling or slating. In the old villages and market towns of northern England this sort of work throws up some strange shapes, curved roofs, raking eaves, splayed verges etc.
I’ve just recently finished a roof in pantiles that had quite a pronounced curve along its length, but with the added bonus of the walls curving more than the ridge tree, i.e. on one side, the spars at the mid – point were longer than the ones at the ends, on the other side, the spars at the ends were longer than those at the mid – point.
Oh well, onward and upward.
Best regards,
Mike.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim K in PA
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is part of what makes this work interesting to those that love it, and maddening to those that do not! Dealing with those challenges effectively and creatively is what makes slate roofing a highly refined skill. Any Neanderthal can staple shingles to a flat, square, modestly sloped roof. It takes a craftsman to handle a "real" roof.

Jim K in PA

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration