Changing exhaust vents Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Ceramic Tile Roofs » Changing exhaust vents « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris (Chris)
Username: Chris

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ha ha
just a quick cut and paste guys!

Bud (Bud)
Advanced Member
Username: Bud

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Old School and....

Chris, I would like to know if you typed that out of memory cause if you did you got it worse than I do...great bit of info but I aint gonna memorize it.

Cwarren (Cwarren)
Username: Cwarren

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you both for the replies. I think venting out the side of the house is probably the best option.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 570
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, Warren doesn't care if the metals are "Catholic" !!!

Sorry, I had to write that out.

Seriously, I would have him consider replacing the old units with high efficiency ones and venting them right out the side of the house, and then eliminate the pipes all together. It makes a lot more sense, and since he is spending the money for the expensive tile roof, I am sure taht the extra money wouldn't be that big a deal. To cut the pipes off and tie them into a low profile roof vent would be to invite trouble. The would probably react with the exixting metal of the pipes too in a "Cathodic" way. One will eat the other and that is not a good thing. Hang in there guy. That is more information that I wanted to know too.

Chris (Chris)
Username: Chris

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Metal Index (V)
Most Cathodic
Gold, solid and plated, Gold-platinum alloy 0.00
Rhodium plated on silver-plated copper 0.05
Silver, solid or plated; monel metal. High nickel-copper alloys 0.15
Nickel, solid or plated, titanium an s alloys, Monel 0.30
Copper, solid or plated; low brasses or bronzes; silver solder; German silvery high copper-nickel alloys; nickel-chromium alloys 0.35
Brass and bronzes 0.40
High brasses and bronzes 0.45
18% chromium type corrosion-resistant steels 0.50
Chromium plated; tin plated; 12% chromium type corrosion-resistant steels 0.60
Tin-plate; tin-lead solder 0.65
Lead, solid or plated; high lead alloys 0.70
2000 series wrought aluminum 0.75
Iron, wrought, gray or malleable, plain carbon and low alloy steels 0.85
Aluminum, wrought alloys other than 2000 series aluminum, cast alloys of the silicon type 0.90
Aluminum, cast alloys other than silicon type, cadmium, plated and chromate 0.95
Hot-dip-zinc plate; galvanized steel 1.20
Zinc, wrought; zinc-base die-casting alloys; zinc plated 1.25
Magnesium & magnesium-base alloys, cast or wrought 1.75
Beryllium 1.85
Most Anodi

Cwarren (Cwarren)
Username: Cwarren

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am in the process of a re-roof. We are installing a new Ludowici Ludoshake roof and replacing all flashings with new 16 oz. copper. I am wanting to replace the old galvanized parts of two water heater vents and one furnace vent. If I were to remove the cap, base, and collar, and then cut the double wall piping down closer to the roof level, could I then install a low profile copper box roof vent over the pipe. Would this affect the functionality of the vents? I know there is the option of replacing just the base with a copper flange, but my customer likes the looks of the low profile box vents. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration