Copper gutters under a ceramic tile roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Ceramic Tile Roofs » Copper gutters under a ceramic tile roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jamie callan
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am doing some repairs on a 1929 ludowici tile roof, that has copper gutters. I have found several small holes in the gutters that appear to have been burned through by the water runoff. Is this normal? is the best solution to install patches until the gutter seems neccessary to replace?

Walter Musson
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 07:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Copper is soft so over time water does wear holes in both gutters and valley sides where constant water dripping eats away at the same spot.
Yes, patching those small holes will extend the gutters life until more numerous deterioration makes replacement necessary.I use EPDM flashing at times since soldering on a patch is not easy with old copper.

admin
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can also use lifetime silicon caulk to seal small holes in copper gutters.

Joe

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scrape and clean small holes or cracked seams with a plumbers wire brush,remove all dust and grit and use Alcoa gutter seal .it seals very well and looks similiar to solder.

jamie callan
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what is the proper method of soldering new copper gutter joints? i understand the gutter should overlap about 2". i have seen some joints that are soldered in the gutter and some on the outside of the gutter. For joints that are soldered after that gutter is installed, it seems much easier, and better, to solder from the inside. any thoughts?

Walter Musson
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always solder from the inside for watertightness and cleaner looking work.Once in place you can't reach the rear of the gutter to solder from the outside anyway.

jchan
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can use a wire wheel to clean off the old solder and patinaed copper and apply a strong flux to it such as stay clean, and the old copper will re-solder.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration