Cost of replacing copper gutters, and... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofing Costs » Cost of replacing copper gutters, and flashing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 01:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you read the chapter on valleys in the slate roof bible? It explains V, W etc.

Elizabeth Heghinian
Username: Bbclarinet

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is a reasonable cost for copper valley installation or labor? From what I've been reading 20 oz valleys are preferrable to 16 oz valleys due to their longevity. SlateRoofCentral.com sells both. Other vendors I have seen mentioned on this Message Board are Cambridge Street Metals in MA and N.B. Handy in Roanoake, VA. The place in northeastern NJ, where I live, which all the contractors use for the best price is Passaic Metal and Building Supplies Co. at 5 Central Ave., Clifton, NJ, (973)546-9000, (973)546-7179 fax, http://www.pampco.com. NJ has a 7% sales tax, if bought locally. I've seen their trucks around, so they probably offer delivery. I lack the machine to bend the valley to the correct V or W, why a contractor would be needed. Copper around here is sold in rolls or sheets. I'm only replacing 3 valleys and therefore buying the 10 boxes of preformed copper valley minimum from Joe's store seems like expensive overkill, since I'm an electrical engineer, not a roofer, working on my home roof. Are the V valleys better than the W valleys? Is there a physical or functional advantage to one shape over another in a given situation or is this just a matter of style and/or taste? I have V valleys to be replaced on my roof now and maybe should just follow suit, unless there is a real reason to do otherwise? Maybe someone knows of a place where one can purchase preformed copper in smaller quantities, since SlateRoofCentral.com's store cannot accomodate such a need?

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering what the going rate is for installing the k-style copper gutter and spouting. I'm located in DC and from what I hear, $25-40/ft is the average, and the spouting is usually not included if the rate is near $25/ft.

Also, I have a chimney that needs new copper flashing. Is it typical for this to cost $850.00?

Walter Musson
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 05:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Both those estimates are quite reasonable.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration