Commercial/Institutional pricing per ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofing Costs » Commercial/Institutional pricing per unit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 325
Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liam, some of the things in the Means book are reasonable, but there are so many variables in slate and slate repairs/flashing etc. that it takes someone that has done it to be able to get their arms around a project. I would imagine if someone were to use the figures in the "book" and lost their shirt on a job, they would make their own "book" for the next job. I think that is experience talking there.

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 536
Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 07:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a estimating book along time ago and found then to be incorrect for most of the items we do. I also think alot of bigger company use them to estimate, which make there bid incorrect.

I had a estimater call two weeks ago saying that the book told him to bid out slate and strapping around $800 for all labor and materials. Which is way under buget in my BOOK.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 324
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't looked a "Means" book for a long time, but I know that they had a lot of that kind of information for all kinds of things in it. Slate I am not sure of. Has anyone got a current one?

Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration (Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration)
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John & Liam: Thank you. I do the same as both of you in estimating work. What I've been running into for the past year or so is project managers who tell me that some of my numbers are "off" when compared to their estimating department's calculations. I always ask "What are they figuring per unit for valley/flashing replacement?" I never get a straight answer. This leads me to believe they're having all subs breakdown the jobs by item & unit so they can pick us apart and pitch one guy against the other. (Go figure!) So I was looking for some published rates so I can (1) compare my figures and (2) have something to quote or push back with. FYI: 2009 "published" residential rates to remove 1 layer of roofing, install ice & water, 30# felt, and Vermont slate (other than red) is $1422/square in metro Boston, $1281/square in upstate NY. NO flashing included!

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 535
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 06:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have come up with alot of unit pricing, I don't us a book. If I had a copper valley to replace that was 10 foot, the cost $1250. Which is $125 per lft, that the unit price. Know cost may change depending on the job and if its commer or instit! The best thing to do is what Old School said is look over the job come up with real cost they do the math after.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 322
Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know of any reference like that, but eventually it does dome down to that. I try and break down the job in my head and assign a time to each part and then add them all up. It is what it is, and I have been at it long enough to get somewhat close. I really don't care what they think of the numbers I put. If they say I am too high, my reply is "compared to what or who?"

We all know that if we did it for 50% of what our costs were, someone would be beneath us. That is the reason most of my work is done on a time and material basis. Like I say, it is what it is!

Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration (Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration)
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, here's one for my fellow contractor friends. Over the last 16 months I have been asked by several GC's to breakdown my bids per sq' of slate replacement, per lin' of valley replacement, slated ridges, step-flashing, etc, all by the unit. Yeah, I realize (from the subsequent conversations) it's an effort to pitch one guy against the other, item by item. But does anybody know of a program/reference for such pricing? It's easy to find things like asphalt shingles per square, EPDM, brick masonry per unit, etc. But does such a register or listing even exist for slate/tile roofing?

Thank you, in advance,to anybody who wants to be helpful and thinks I'm trying to bid jobs but I'm not. I am only trying to find if such numbers are published in estimating guides/manuals. I have seen new construction slate installation pricing before, but 90%+ of what we do is wholesale valley/flashing replacements and restoration work on existing structures.

Such knowledge would be a helpful reference point when an estimator tells me my numbers are "way off" in the future.

Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration