Need some advice..... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofing Costs » Need some advice..... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tonya Werner
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. We bought a house built in 1905 about 6 years ago. This past winter it leaked one time, our local roofing guy told us ice had pushed some slate around and so he fixed it and no more leaks (Charged us about $125.00) Now we have had a lot of rain (Southeastern PA) with high winds and it leaked again, this time it leaked so much that it damaged the plaster inside.

Now what I noticed was in the attic coves (small cubby holes for storage) is that you can see the slate - it's not like there is a layer of any kind of wood on the inside of the house - it is as if they just laid the slate on the beams (if that makes any sense) I can see just where the water is leaking in and what I think we could do to solve it is put heavy plastic on the inside of the coves and then insulate (it's not insulated now) and put drywall over that.....

The roofer guy told us we should replace the slate said it is outdated and asphalt is better....but being that the roof is 3 stories up I have to either take his word for it or, well, I don't know take his word for it! I think he said about 5k to replace, which seems high to me cause we live in a twin and it's only the very top roof that is leaking and only in one spot, and as i said I can see the spot from the inside.

Do you have any suggestions???

jchan
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Call a reputable slater for a second opinion.

admin
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can't repair a leaking slate roof from inside. It's probably just a slate needing replaced (from outside).

You need a reputable slater, as John says, to look at it and give you an accurate assessment.

Tonya Werner
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you possibly give me any names of REPUTABLE slate roofers in Bucks County, Pa???

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leeland's slate, Lititz.Pa

Ted Wetzel
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonya - There is lot's of slate left in this area so don't give up intil you find a good contractor. I would suggest you get Joe's book and read it. It's a good read and after reading it you will be better prepared to make sure your roof is repaired properly. The number of slate roofs ripped off because of ignorant or unreputable contractors is criminal. Don't fall into that trap.

jebster
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tonya, I am a slate/copper roofer in Bucks County (Doylestown area). I would be happy to look at your roof and to meet with you. I back all my repairs and use only the accepted methods of repair. Call me on my cell @ 267-784-8373 . Jeff

Greg Wedge
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 02:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a house that is two stories it is 105 years old with a barn shape roof. I need to replace a few slates and to start with I don't know how to get to the top where the chim, is with out walking on it or using a hellacopter. How do I get there?
I would like to keep the slate cause I think to repace with new shingels would cheepen the house

Joe Jenkins (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On gambrel roofs, you have to use roof jacks and planks on the steep slope as a platform for a short ladder that allows access to the top slope. On top, you will need hook ladders. (http://www.slateroofcentral.com/store_lad_hook.html#rollhook)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration