Does it cost more to remove slate, th... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofing Costs » Does it cost more to remove slate, than to remove asphalt? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Clueless Liz
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Help! My husband and I bought a 1900-era house two years ago knowing the asphalt roof was nearing its life end. We got a $4000 credit from the seller for replacement. NOW, we are getting estimates and in that process a roofer has discovered a secret layer of slate under the asphalt that we previously thought was a layer of older asphalt. He says that the first layer being slate doubles the cost of a whole roof replacement (From about $7000 to $13000). Is this right? It seems to me that tearing off and throwing away slate should be about the same cost as tearing and throwing away asphalt...

admin
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Liz, your roofer sounds dishonest. We usually charge about $100/square for removal of slates prior to re-slating. Removal of slates is actually easier than removal of asphalt shingles in many cases as there are only two nails per slate. It would be reasonable for your roofer to tack on an additional removal fee upon discovery of the slate layer, but almost doubling the cost of the job reeks of dishonesty.

Joe Jenkins

John Chan
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is ridiculous. We charge $100/sq. unless it's extremely difficult. But seeing how he was going to tear off one layer of shingles already, I would think that he would only charge about $50-75 for a layer of slate underneath of it.

Clueless Liz
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your input! The estimator claimed that because the slate would shred apart while tearing off it would be much more labor intensive to clean up and remove all the little pieces. I can see that, but $6000 more expensive? And only the top most roofs have the slate, not an addition or the garage which is in the first estimate.

We will definately get estimates from other companies. But it is nice to have some expert advice to bargain with when talking to these people. Thanks again!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration