Application of slate over shiplap dec... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofing Costs » Application of slate over shiplap decking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 159
Posted on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marc. The only point about the weight of the water is that when they are wet, the shakes don't weigh all that much less than the slates do. It is good that you strengthened the structure, but there is not going to be that much more loading on the roof even with the application of the slate. The snow will slide off from the slate easier than the shakes too, so the winter loading is not as much of a factor. Most of the trusses and such are designed to hold up about 3 to 4 times the weight of a slate roof with snow or wind pressure. You should be fine with a slate roof with what you have done.

Marc (Marc)
Username: Marc

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Old School for your thoughts. When I purchased my building in 1992, it had the same cedar shake roof that it has now. When I remodelled it in that year (1992), I had the roof deck reinforced to handle the extra weight of a ceramic or slate roof. Before my reinforcement, the existing cedar shake roof did not have this added support, nor did the first cedar shake roof that was installed in 1950 when the building was built. How does your reply about wet cedar shakes and their weight have any importance to my question about the suitability of a 3/4 inch existing shiplap roof deck?? Im still learning, so please excuse any misunderstanding. I appreciate your wisdom and advice.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, June 19, 2009 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should be plenty strong enough. One thing you are not thinking of is the weight of the wood shakes or shingles when they are wet. Water weighs a lot and when your existing roof is wet it is HEAVY!

Marc (Marc)
Username: Marc

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, June 19, 2009 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 50 yr old building with 3/4 to 7/8th thick shiplap roof decking. The roof has been reinforced to carry extra weight for tile or slate when i remodeled in 1992. Width of the ship (which is in good condition) is 7". Distance between rafters is 22". Would this be a suitable deck to accept standard thickness slate??? I currently have a worn out cedar shake roof. Can you give me your thoughts???

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration