Standing Seam on wraparound porch Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofing Costs » Standing Seam on wraparound porch « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mbazikos (Mbazikos)
Username: Mbazikos

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Due to some obnoxious twist of fate, for some reason my emails won't send. I intend to pick up the horn tomorrow and give you a ring.

Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration (Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration)
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Old School gave you a pretty good number, considering you've got an easy $2500+ in materials on the roof alone. The problem, Mr Bazikos, is that you are looking for people who stay busy regardless of the economy. As you've seen they are few and far between. Many of the others (who you've spoken to) that never came back with proposals were probably intimidated by YOUR grasp of the system and it's proper installation. Slate Man's offer to do it (but much later) is *ahem* what you should expect from an artisan who is in demand. He shouldn't be waiting by the phone and ready to start tomorrow. Good luck!

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 416
Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will provide you with a quote but, would not to able to do anything till at least the fall ,winter or next spring! E-mail if you want to move forward.

Mbazikos (Mbazikos)

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know how common this is, but only 1 person has gotten back to me with an estimate, and it was not acceptable. (It has been 3 months that I have been searching) I guess everyone must be busy these days, despite the fact the economy has tanked. No one even returns phone calls. Can someone tell me i'm on the right track...

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

4 hips makes for more cutting and very few common pieces. That would be a bit more in labor, though not that much more in materials. Allow for it.

Mbazikos (Mbazikos)

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you! Actually, there are no valleys at all but there are 4 hips altogether- 2 on the porch roof and 2 on the the kitchen roof.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

5.2 squares of copper standing seam with 1 valley, 1 story at a 3 1/2 pitch should cost about $7,500 to $8,500 installed. Gutters are going to be extra, and it depends on what type of hanger you use. I would imagine the gutters in half round copper would be another $1,500 to $2,000, but then again, I don't know how you are going to drop them and if you are using cast fascia brackets or what. That whould get you in the ball park though. I hope it helps.

Mbazikos (Mbazikos)

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The porch is not round, it is L shaped, the rafters are app. 8'6" long. The pitch is app. 3-1/2" rise per 12" run. The origional built-in gutter is gone. The sidewall is clapboards with trimboards. The south end terminates in a 60 deg. angle. I would like to replicate the origional look with the built-in gutters but of course cost is an issue, and I would accept half-round gutters if need be. I would like some idea of how much you guys 'might' charge for this job. I only got one estimate so far and have no idea if it is reasonable or not. In fact, it is more expensive than a comparably slated area. I would appreciate any input.

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 209
Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Copper may actually be cheaper than TCS II. Raw materials in copper are lower for me because I don't buy TCS II in bulk. Also, it is a harder metal and therefore harder to form and it causes more wear on my tools. Even if you wanted a painted look, copper will be easier than TCS II.

Now the craftsmanship and attention to detail required to install a true double-locked standing seam roof is rare. There are many roofers that install look-a-like standing seams or they "cut corners" literally. They do a double lock but they just cut and solder whenever they run into a challenging area.

These skills used to be commonplace but roof tinner is an archaic profession in the general roofing world. Look for a coppersmith shop or solicit companies that specialize in custom sheet metal instead of roofing.

Before you sign a contract make sure you specify that they follow industry-accepted design guides from SMACNA or Copper Development Association.

-Kurt

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a "round" porch or is it all straight running? If it is round, the waste factor is going to be greater with either product and the price per square is also going to be higher. The Terne coated Stainless Steel and 20 oz. copper are going to cost about the same per square foot.

How long are the rafters? How steep? What type of wall are we attaching the top flashings to? Is there a built in gutter now? Are you after half round gutters?

Go to my brothers website classicgutters.com for ideas. Old school

Mbazikos (Mbazikos)

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gentlemen, The roof over my wraparound porch is leaking and I'm having some trouble getting estimates on replacement cost. Can anyone tell me a ballpark figure for a standing seam roof- app. 3.2 sq.(l-shaped) and a 2 sq. rectangular roof over the rear kitchen. Both are one story high. I am more interested in TCSS than 20 oz. copper but may accept the either. Also needs either hanging gutters or built in ones. It seems to me that roofers actually charge more per square for metal roofing than slate roofing. Is that reasonable? I hope to hear from many of you. Many Thanks!, Michael

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration