Nu-lok installation system Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofing Costs » Nu-lok installation system « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone have any experience using this installation system? If so, what are your thoughts? Do you think it would save time and/or money for a new installation? I received some promo materials from greenstone slate.

The website says that "fastening system components are designed for 50-year life in sea-front conditions". Is this another case of 'guaranteed to fail in 50 years'?

Here's a link:
http://www.nu-lokusa.com/

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Nu-Lok Roofing System was recently granted a 60-year design life certificate by the Irish Agrement Board - this is supposed to be one of the most stringent analyses in all of Europe and is the hardest one to gain approval from. I would assume that the Irish climate is heavily influenced by salt air and high winds. I have emailed contractors in Australia who have used it and absolutely swear by it. I spoke with their UK President (an American named Mark Carmichael) who provided me with testimonials from UK contractors that said in certain applications, the system is up to 5x faster than traditional roofing methods. Seems hard to believe, but the evidence was compelling. I visited their site www.nu-lok.co.uk and found a couple of effective 3D animations that explained how it works.

Peter
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I have just finished reading their data supplied to Irish Contractors.

My first reaction was the system depends too much on a ridged bar under the roof covering, but as posted it has passed the tests.

If I was asked for a preferance I would stay with the Italian Ceramic tile / slate.

I viewed their stand for the natural slate and even the Rep agreed the system didn't look as good as a traditional slate system, in fainess it probably would take someone who knew what they were looking at to see the difference.

I will wait to fit a roof with the system before I can offer any further opinion in the positive or negative.

I expect the fitting of the metal grid system straight and square will have a lot to do with the appearance of the finish.

A major comfort zone here is the system is distributed by one of the largest, most experienced suppliers of roofing systems in Ireland with a lot of subsidiaries world wide.

I can't see them putting their name to a product that hasn't been tested further than most roofing systems are expected to pass.

Regarding costs the initial outlay (cost of the roof) is expected to be 20% + cheaper than a comparable roof, and possibly more depending on the type of slate used.

Kind Regards,

Peter Crawley,

www.crawleyroofing.com

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration