Cost difference between new and salva... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofing Costs » Cost difference between new and salvaged slate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ward Hamilton
Advanced Member
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you say "It was supposed to be new" do you mean that it was specified? Or was that your assumption? If it was specified, I wouldn't pay him for it. The cost difference is irrelevant; where else has he tried to cut corners?

HOWEVER, if you merely assumed that a new addition would get a new roof, hold on a minute. It sounds like he was attempting to match your main roof.

The difference in price for 2.5 square of new vs. used slate should be a virtual non-issue when held up against the average price of a 230 sq' addition. I think the larger issue should be: Did he directly ignore spec'd new slate? If so, keep a sharp eye on him. IF NOT, what are you trying to do, nickle and dime to save $250?

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 06:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well as a roofer and contractor I would use matching used Buckingham slate. Seeing that its one of the best slate out there. I being in VT would not install slate on the shed roof to low.
As far as the cost it may be about $100. differents in the price, used Buckingham isn't cheep. This contractor may have the slate and maybe is trying to use it up!

Harkin Banks
Username: Harkin_banks

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm currently building a 230 SF addition to the side of our 1930 cape. The addition has a shed roof, and the contractor doing the work installed a salvaged slate roof without my approval. It was supposed to be new.

Since I'm the one who is obviously taking all the risk on this, I want to make sure I at least get a full refund of the material cost difference.

Is there a typical price difference between new and salvaged slate? The original roof that he was trying to match was a Buckingham Virginia slate - 9" x 16".

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration