$313/hour slate replacement Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofing Costs » $313/hour slate replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kurtis Hord
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ward, good advice as always.

Ward Hamilton
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 03:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This particular example of a homeowner coming on the message board and asking "How much does it cost?" is perfect for proving a couple points. I have met with Matthias, personally, and we will be doing some work at his home later this summer. We look forward to that opportunity and are thankful - Joe - that this site helped us connect.

The first problem here is that a contract was agreed upon "per unit replaced." After the fact, the cost was analyzed from a "time & material" perspective (with the 'material' cost ignored.) That's why I stay away from "per unit" pricing... it leaves the customer doing math and feeling ripped off. Also, the slate is Monson, Maine, black and not inexpensive. [Difference is in the details]

It was also irritating to the customer that the firm charged him to replace slates they broke while working on his house, and that the number replaced was 'probably' embellished. [Bad business practices/lack of ethics]

And, lets not forget, the two-man crew traveled to/from the jobsite, overhead, costs built-in for estimates, etc. [Inaccurate accounting of business costs]

Also, it is a hip-style roof with dormers and a chimney at the top ... set-up is not a simple "hook-n-go!" The chimney re-flash price was very fair. [Lack of details provided in initial query]

So, the first point is for us, the slate roofing folks, who answer the "How much does it cost?" questions from time to time. Be careful in the answers and number$ you give folks ... there is ALWAYS more to the story (or, at least another side) and folks are rarely asking these questions because they were thrilled with the price/outcome. [Skewed perspective]

For the homeowner, the more detailed and accurate depiction of the job and scope you provide, the better! Understand that there are many different variables involved in pricing, including the region in which you live. Also, you might luck out and have a guy who's a one man show that charges reasonable prices and lives nearby.

Remember that larger companies, who can afford to hire workmen skilled with slate, have a different price structure (ie, overhead) than that one man show.

Kurtis Hord
Advanced Member
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In Louisville, I have a $75 minimum in town. More if I have to travel to another county. If I'm getting on a roof for the first time I always take pictures and write up a "free" audit which addresses anything else that might need additional work.

The fairness of the price really depends on the difficulty of the job, the type of materials they used, and the market you are in. Here In Louisville, KY I would charge somewhere between 400-500 for the repair you described. Obviously prices are going to be a lot higher in New England. For example: I charge $200 US to even LOOK at a roof in Antigua, but I'm dealing with a totally different market. I can't afford to do free estimates and single tile repairs in Antigua like I can in Louisville.

The thing is, you have to consider you are getting (hopefully) a permanent solution when you pay a skilled slater to make a repair. If you have good stone, it's an investment that will pay for itself over the remaining service life of the roof. If you have soft stone you may be better off just doing cheap patches until you can afford to have the roof replaced.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 05:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a small repair that is to be done. Are estimate states 20 to 40 pc for $1000.00. I bid are estimate if, I seen the house for $25.00 per slate if I havn't seen the job and the owner tells me what needs to repair. We call it a service call and it will cost depending where it is about $400.00 to $550.00. I will repair up to 10 pcs and give they a details cost estimate report on what other things may need some work. I can see my per pc price getting that high on some jobs, but not my all of they. If you do the math on the job I have to do, let say I only repair 22 of the 40 I have in the contract, I will get about $45.00 per pc!

Matthias
Username: Stampede

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had 20 slates replaced for over $940 - contract specd just over $45 per slate. Two men and total job took over 3 hours. Reputable company.
Roof needs good deal of additional copper work including chimney flashing and replacement of all ridges (hip roof). Chimney reflashing quoted $1800 S. New HAmpshire Location.
Any thoughts - Am I getting ripped off

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration