What is an average price per tile rep... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofing Costs » What is an average price per tile replaced? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick1313 (Rick1313)
Username: Rick1313

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have about 4500 square feet sea green VT slate for sale used but in great condition I am asking $7000 dollars for the whole lot does this sound like a reasonable price? I can deliver rsmith13grow@gmail.com

Rick1313 (Rick1313)
Username: Rick1313

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have about 4500 square feet see green VT slate for sale used but in great condition I am asking $7000 dollars for the whole lot does this sound like a reasonable price? I can deliver rsmith13grow@gmail.com

Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration (Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration)
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 05:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, as Eric points out, it may be worth even less. While it doesn't seem to pertain to you, what I often encounter is homeowners who want to "sell" their slate roof to me before their new asphalt shingle is installed. After I explain the costs incurred to remove, pack, and ship the 'salvageable' slate, they figure out I am not giving them a dime. HOWEVER, what I explain to them, is that the savings comes from their shingler. He can knock a healthy chunk off the price if the roof is already cleared of the slate. To be honest, in Upstate NY, Boston, and New England, the only slate I'm generally interested in are Monson, red, unfading green/purple, and the occassional Chapman (PA.) That's about all I run into besides the crumbly Pennsy and VT sea green.

Epl (Epl)
Username: Epl

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can also go by:

$125-$150/sqs. (VT), $150-175/sqs. (Buck, Monson, Peach Bottom), etc.
Packed and ready to ship (in crates, vertically).
Buyer pays for freight (good option as freight from MA to IL would be $1500+/ load).

Assuming the slate is in good usable condition.

Thank you,

Eric P. Loema
Sales | Salvage | Procurement
P (800) 699-5695 | F (815) 547-1425
Web: www.TileandSlateSales.com | E-mail: epl@TileandSlateSales.com

Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration (Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration)
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brenda, we are about 90 minutes away from you, and may be interested. Can you email a picture of the roof to ward@wardhamilton.com and I'll take a look?

A desirable slate (ie, VT unfading/semi-fading colors) is worth about $175/sq, stacked correctly on a hardwood, sided, slate pallet, cellophane-wrapped, and delivered to a slate salvage company.

In other words *about* $1/pc BEFORE deducting all of the labor, effort, and overhead described.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 375
Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brenda, it depends on what kind of slate it is and what size. You location will make a difference also because of the shipping costs. What is the condition of the slate? All these factors will vary the price. Pictures would help!

Brenda (Brenda)
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know what used slate goes for per sheet these days. I have a huge barn that is weather damaged and has to be torn down and have a lot of peices of slate still in great shape. Just curius if its worth anything. Thanks Brenda

Stephen J Taran
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter,

Remember Travel Time, After your job the rest of the day was wasted, gas, Work mans comp insurances is 50 dollars per hundred dollars that we pay our men,use of tools and a roofer is always one step away from ending his career. I would have got 20 dollars per slate and 150 dollars to travel and put a ladder up so it was a fair price

peter gurvin
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Vermont slate roof which is about 50 years old which has a 45 degree pitch. I have been in the house about 30 years and haven't had any work done at all on the roof. I have seen many broken tiles and lately I noticed a leak inside the attic. I called a major roofing company in the D.C. area who sent some over to do the repair work. He spent 4 plus hours replacing 25 tiles. I got the bill today....$120 hr...actually I had the slate tile but they also charge me $44 for copper bib and $10 for copper nails. I thought the hourly rate was excessive considering the rate for other professionals such as plumers, carpenters, etc charge. However, I rationalize the cost to myself by saying it was ony $20 per year for the last 30 years......

JJ
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A local roofer wants to charge me $40 for every broken tile to be repaired on my two story house 12/12 pitch. What is the average price for this service? Also, what is the average price per foot of valley involving removing/replacing tiles and new copper installed? Thanks,
Jay in California

admin
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Prices vary *wildly* from contractor to contractor. We (Jenkins) charge from $10 to $30 per slate for replacement, usually at the lower end because the slate replacement is often part of a larger job which entails a lot of flashing replacement, which puts us on the roof already, where we can replace the slates while we're up there. The price is influenced also by minimum charges (for example, no one would replace one slate and charge you $30 - there must be minimum charges to justify even driving to the job). Correct valley replacement costs also vary wildly depending on a lot of factors: condition of slates adjacent to valley (are they all tarred up?); height , steepness and degree of difficulty of job; exposed width of valley; type of valley (rounded, open, closed, etc.); type of metal or weight of copper; do the valleys drain openly or do they run into a parapet or something of the sort?; how much travel time is involved; etc., etc. We charge $40-$60 per running foot for most residential valleys that are open with 6" exposures and made of 20 ounce copper from 16" stock . Other contractors may charge more. For institutional valley replacement we may charge $100/lineal foot, installed. Some contractors charge as high as $250/lineal foot.

Jim Bennette
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did I hear that right?
16inch stock and 6" exposed? Doese that mean it extends 8" up each side giving only 2"coverage
or even less if you hemed your edges.

JBennette

admin
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

6" exposure using 16" stock means 5" under the slate on each side. We don't hem the edges - there's no need for it when installing valleys. The edges are simply nailed. Folded edges and cleats are used to allow expansion and contraction on soldered seam metal applications. Valleys can be simply overlapped - no soldering is needed.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hired a contractor to replace specific slates on my roof. In the process of replacing a single slate he had to replace 15 sourounding slates. Is this to be expected, or have I been had?

Wayne
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What color is this slate? http://profiles.yahoo.com/nh03086

Also... I have a porch in need of a new roof. It leaked where the shingles meet the slate. I get the inpression to do it right I need to cut back the slate at a 45 degree angle and put in a metal valley of some sort. All they did was run the shingles up to the slate and put roofing cement at the seam. This may have lasted about 20 years.

All thoughts welcomed.

admin
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous: If the slate is a worn out soft slate, then it sometimes is necessary to replace a lot of them when trying to get out just one or two. Same if they've been tarred.

Wayne: Running asphalt shingles up to slate and caulking it is just plain dumb. If there's a valley there, the valley should be properly installed.

Joe Jenkins

Wayne
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you click the link and view the picture? I was hoping to know what color it is. I am having trouble buying slate. The slate companies I have e-mail have not contacted me back. I need to reroof this porch and might as well do it in slate.

I was shocked to find copper step flashing at Home Depot. Can I use this between the slate for the pieces that are chipped?

admin
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The slate appears to be Vermont "sea green" slate. New slate will not match the old. You will need to find a source of recycled Vt sea green (shouldn't be too hard).

If you have broken pieces of slate then you should just replace them. Otherwise, copper flashing underneath holes and whatnot is fine for repairing them.

Joe Jenkins

Wayne
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, does anyone have some recycled Vt sea green for sale. I am in NH by the Nashua. Please let me know the price. E-mail me at nh03086@yahoo.com Thanks

Bob Delmond
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for a roofer to replace copper valleys on my Ludowici tile roof. They have previously been tarred. I have a lot of extra tiles to use in this process. How much should valley replacement cost? I live on Long Island in New York State. Can you recommend someone to do this?

jchan
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Depending on the type of tile and access, etc. somewhere between $60-150 per foot plus any expenses if coming from out of town.

robin sawyer
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any thoughts about a reasonable per slate price for a 14" W x 22" L Munsford? Does the cost vary depending on how many you need? (This job will need about 200 of them.)

Thanks.

robin sawyer
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Addendum: Sorry. Didn't give enough detail in my prior posting. This may still not be enough detail, but the drive distance is about 30 miles. The replacements would be part of a much larger job involving replacing hips, ridges, valleys, flashing, working on a dormer, removing some tar from a chimney. (Not sure if there's tar on slates. That wasn't mentioned.)The height is a 3-story house. Not sure of the steepness. The copper weight would be 16 oz. (Some roofers have told me that they prefer 16 to 20 because 20 is so stiff?)Hope that helps.

Walter Musson
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since the replacements are part of a larger job and your roofer will already be set up to work on your home the cost of broken slate repair should be more economical than if it were all he was doing.That said,your shingles are a really large size and harder to procure so their cost is more than a smaller size would be in a Monson slate.
Labor varies from region to region so it's hard to quote what that facet of the work might run.
Even though the 20 oz. is harder to form it will last much longer than 16 oz. and since the labor is identical to install either one the only variable is the cost of the sheet stock.
Sounds like the whole job is going to be not inexpensive,but with Monson slate and all new metal you should be fine for the forseeable future.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know the minimum pitch you can put slates on?

Barry Smith
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

4/12

ann brown
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a piece of Monson slate 48"x26"x1"
Do you have any idea what the retail value of this piece is? I use it as a hearth.

PS I lived in Monson for a number of years and am glad to know that this beautiful slate is once again available. Thanks

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got an estimate for $1400 for fixing a leak on my 50 yeard old slate roof that is cause by flashing issues next to my chimney. It was also stated in the estimate that the work will not be guaranteed because of the age of the roof.
Is this an outrageous figure to fix a flashing leak? Also, would replacing to current slate roof with synthetic slates be cheaper at this point?
It does not make sense to me to pay $1400 for work that is not guaranteed.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wondering what area of the country you live in? If close by could give you another estimate.Will respond back if you are close by.

admin
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the contractor knows what he is doing, he will unconditionally guarantee the work 100%. $1,400.00 seems like a lot to reflash a chimney, unless it's a big chimney. More details are needed.

Joe Jenkins

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The house is located in the Long Island, NY.
The chimney is average from my point of view because the only opening is in the living room (estimate 3' x 2' or 4' x 3'). It seemed very strange to me that the contractor would not guarantee their work as well.

Thank you for all your feedback.

theslateman
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't discard the whole roof just to solve a chimney leak.
There must be other slaters who could re-flash your chimney and stand behind their work.
Price sounds a little strong,but it may be in line for what it entails.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

in the new york area this price is hardly outrageous,everything is far more expensive than in other areas of country,may not sound like a lot of work,but material alone will be $200+,one man could probably complete in one day,however for safety and insurance purposes we send either two mechanics or mechanic and one helper,if we charge for a day we work for the day,clean and repair gutters,inspect roof,missing broken slates,general stuff, getting from job to job in tri state area is tough with traffic,so pricing jobs is generally based on daily rate,so throw on 600-800 for labor,overhead at 200 per day, and some profit(bad word),it all adds up. As for the lack of guarantee,with chimneys i have learned that,although the flashing may be in bad shape other factors can sometimes cause leaks,especially the crown or flue itself,sometimes the brickwork or stucco can be the problem,it takes closer inspection and since we dont walk on slate roofs,its better to inspect when staging is in. I have seen situations where roof is leaking ,contractors install new roof, neglect flashings(too time consuming)and leak reappears when flashing cement fails,resulting in even more expensive repair.More information is needed about your roof, type of slate,etc, and what reasons,if any the contractor gave as to why replacing flashing might not be the solution. Good luck

daniel a weaver
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm cutting my own slate shingles out myself. Square edges, instead of beveled I can easily live with....but. Someone brought up the point that there might be a logical, can't do with out, type reason for the beveled edge. My question is does the beveled edge on a slate shingle hold a purpose other than beatification?

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

apparently, the bevelled edge is to prevent water from being drawn in under the slate,this might not happen if the cut is perfectly straight and square,i think i saw somewhere that someone quarries and sells it as such,however if you are cutting them with a slate cutter and placing the bevelled side down it could constitute the problem of the water being drawn in under or at sidelaps,the bigger the slate the less likeliehood of a problem, i would imagine.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The bevelled edges are for appearence NOW. When it first started being mined it is what happened as they were sizing the slates. Like when you use a slate cutter you cut with the back of the slate facing up as to leave the bevelled edge on the face of the slate. Also, when talking to some at the mines they also believe (the bevelled edges) does acouple things. First it promotes the water to run away from the water line and bottom edges as it is tappered. Next they believe the slate to actually be stronger at the edges with bevelled edges. Hope this helps--some.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration