Asbestos tile roof - What to do? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofing Costs » Asbestos tile roof - What to do? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben Robertson
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have a cement/asbestos tile roof on our 1913 three story Craftsman house. We believe the tile roof was put on the house sometime in the 1920's. There is evidence the tile roof might have been painted green at some point in history. It is now very dirty and covered with moss, mold, dirt....you get the picture. Would it be harmful to power wash it or would this damage the tiles? We've been told it is still in "near perfect" condition and we know it doesn't leak. Would it make sense to try and somehow clean it or have a contractor abate/remove it properly and replace with asphalt shingles? Searching for answers............

Ben

joe
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why not just leave it on the way it is?

Walter Musson
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moss is indicitive of a softening of the tiles letting it become a host to the lichens and moss,so I suspect your roof is in less than "near perfect" condition.80 years is getting along in the life expectancy of that type of roof.
Have a competent roofing contractor assess it's condition to see if replacement might be required in a few years,at which time you could decide on what material to use-slate of course being preferred on this site.

Mike Hiller
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ben, You and I are in roughly the same boat. I have a cement asbestos roof installed in 1924. The tiles are red, white & gray.....well, they were at one point!!
Today, they are mossy and dirty. I can't find anyone who will recommend a good method of cleaning. Some have talked about spraying copper oxide or copper sulfate to kill the moss and mold, but have never done it. Everyone talks about power washing, but I have yet to find anyone who has done it. I've been getting a lot of opinions, but no experience.
I'm seriously considering renting a "boom truck" and powerwashing the roof myself. (Gently, of course).
Likewise...searching for answers....

admin
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heavy moss can be scraped off with a wonderbar or other tool suitable for scraping by accessing the roof using a hook ladder.

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just noticed that the "Gardens Alive" catalog includes "Moss Aside" which is described as a quick and natural moss killer that is suitable for use on roofs - the active ingredient being a soap-based herbicide.

http://www.gardensalive.com

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration