How much in todays dollars for vermon... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofing Costs » How much in todays dollars for vermont slate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

peter
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My house was built nearly 100 years ago and has the original slate roof. It is a combinating of dark red, green and grey vermont slate. Just wondered in todays dollars what it would cost to replace? its 2800 sq ft house with a complex roof lines, including concave sections.

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

$1,500.00 per square is a rough general estimate these days. But why would you replace it? 100 years on Vermont slate sounds like a restoration job, not a replacement.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our Vermont slate, mansard style roof is 64 years old and leaking, particularly in the valleys. A roofer listed on the Jenkins recommended list has given us a 4-page repair proposal with a many thousands dollar price that I am not qualified to judge. We have 8 dormers with curved tops and one window that just cuts into the roof line. There are 6 valleys, the chimney and two small attic dormers. All new 16 oz. cold rolled copper is proposed for valleys and dormers. 36" wide layer of water and ice shield and rosin is to go below shingles.He estimates a need for 100 new slates. Ridge capping is proposed. What should all of this cost?

Walter Musson
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More info is needed to help you.What are the lengths of the valleys?What are the sizes of the curved dormers,and are there 2 or 3 courses of slates above on the Mansard?How many feet of ridge?Where is the ice and water shield to go?

Ricky
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We are also a roofing contractor listed under Jenkins recommended list, where are you located? We may be able to give you a proposal where you could compare.

Ohio Guy
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a medium sized barn built around 1910. I believe the dimensions are about 50ft x 20ft. At present the roof consists of tar coated 4x8 corrugated tin panels. Many of the panels have small leaks in them. The underside of the roof (joists and slats) seem to be in pretty good shape. I would like to replace the roof, and really like the look and durability of slate. I could get a new 29 gauge sheet roof for $4-5,000. Could anyone guess at what installation of a slate roof might cost? The roof is flat (ie no dormers, gables, valleys, etc.)

stephentaran
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ohio guy, My slate prices run from $225.00 per square up to $900.00 per square and I have new and used. Now all you need is a price of installing it

admin
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your rafters are 25' long and the roof is 50' wide, then you have about 25 squares. You're probably looking at $20,000.00 minimum, for new slate installed by experienced slaters, depending on how much sheathing work is needed. You can buy used slate and do it yourself, however. With your own labor, you can probably do the job for about $6,500.00 (or much less if you salvage the slate yourself).

ohioguy
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I appreciate that info. One other question- Im sure a slate roof is a heluva lot heavier than tin. Would the existing roof need to have the old tin panels removed and then resurfaced with one inch boards or heavy (3/4) plywood before the slate goes on?

admin
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The strength of the roof depends a lot on the framing members (rafters, etc.) more so than the sheathing. The slate roof bible, page 194, shows some recommended rafter sizes for rigid construction. The strength of the roof is influenced by the slope of the roof, rafter size, rafter spacing, and rafter bracing, if any. Do you know what these dimensions are?

John Lesher
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am an owner of a 66 year old slate roof on our Cape Cod house in Delaware. Calls to several roofers have been futile, so I haved decided to try to repair the storm damaged slates myself. The sheathing is tongue and groove, 3/4 x 6" lumber that is now very dry and it is hard to get the copper nails to penetrate. What do you suggest to get around this problem? Will predrilling the holes help? Replacing the wood?
Also, should I blunt the nail tips to keep the wood from spliting?

Walter Musson
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I keep a scratch awl(as used for sheet metal work) in my pouch at all times,then when I can't nail into the deck easily,i use the awl to make a pilot hole.In this way I don't need to have a drill with me on the roof.There's no need to blunt the nail point if you make a pilot hole.

John Lesher
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for the tip, walter, on getting my copper nails into the 66 year old sheathing. an awl sure does beat carrying a cordless drill to the ridge. now i will have room for a sleeve of oreo cookies.
next question: most of my roof slate is flaking and turning brown. i do not see any white on the slate edges. the original color is gray/black. i also have a few green slates scattered on the lower half of the roof for effect. do i have pa. or vermont slate? thanking anyone in advance.

admin
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably PA slate.

66 year old VT black slate should not be flaking.

john lesher
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks "admin" for your quick response.

Laurie McD
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We are planning to build a new house with, if we can afford it, a slate roof. We are in the planning stage right now so I don't want to waste anyone's time doing an exact take off but I've been trying to get a ballpark estimate so we can decide whether we have to go to an alternate material. The roof would be approximately 3,500SF with a main gable with a pitch of 24/12. Off the main gable are 4 smaller gables that would have a pitch of approximately 30/12. I've spoken to a local supplier of slate for material pricing and was quoted approximately $ 4.00SF for Vermont unfading green and mottled purple. When I contacted an installer that he recommended, I was told approximately $6.50SF to install plus the cost of copper valleys. I have a 2002 RS Means estimating book that lists total estimated costs, including OH & P, of approx. $85.00 a square using Vermont unfading green. Now I'm looking at this site and other messages that seem to indicate much higher costs than these. Do the costs I have been given sound reasonable? We live outside of Atlanta if anyone is familiar with local costs. Also, about how long would it take to install this roof. Thanks!

slateworks
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Your cost to have your slate roof Installed for 35 square of slate,Labor & Material- would be from $38,000.00 to $51,000.00..Depending on size of slate-How much flashing work is involved,Gutters & Downspouts? ect..You can save some money if you bought salvaged slate,Although it is hard to find Unfading green in salvaged slate.If your roof is a go during the winter months,We would be interested since here in Pa. work is slow that time of year..Good luck. Ron 724-316-7702.

naesb81
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some used slate to sell and was wondering what it might be worth. It's 12" black munson, I have about 3000 tiles.

Thanks
Sean
naesb81@hotmail.com

Walter Musson
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they 12" long? What is the width?

Barbara Lynch
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

we have just moved into a 63 year old house with a 1" Vermont slate roof. It is leaking and I have been told the valleys (32' need replacing). One roofer said the replacement tiles will take 6-8 weeks to arrive, another said he could get 3/4" slate for the few that will need replacement. Can we use the 3/4"? any slate will be noticable because of the age. Also, the repair prices vary widely(wildly). Only one roofer measured, he has good references and is asking much less. Should I be suspect of the lower price or are some roofers just marking up incredibly because it's slate. thanks, Barbara

robin
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can somebody please put an easy explanation , as u guys still work with feet an squares etc... (we did too, but that 500 years ago) and it's nearly impossible for me to follow alll this. I have no idea how many m² (square meter) a feet or a square is.. any help would be really appreciated

slateworks
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Robin, Here in the states we consider a square of roofing material to be 100 square feet or a 10 foot x 10 foot area = 100 square feet(1 square of roofing material) .And with Slate in most cases a Square is sold to be installed with a 3" headlap.Hope this helps, Ron

dc
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 2 pcs of slate. 48"x48' & 48'x60'. Both are
3/8" thick & black (formerly blackboards I believe). Uses, value ? Any help?

admin
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These are not too hard to come buy - old salvaged blackboard slate. They make good floors - also good blackboards.

Deena
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi could someone please give me a ballpark figure or range for how much it would cost to replace the gutters on a house built in 1972 about 2000 square feet inside.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many feet of gutter? Any inside/outside corners? How many feet of downspouting? what type of gutter are you interested in? If the hangers have to be attached to the roof, what type of roofing material do you have on your roof? Is this for copper, aluminum or galvanize gutter material? Alot of questions need to be answered before a "ballpark figure" can be given.

hawkbill46@yahoo.com
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I'm about to replace a slate roof in New Orleans with a tin roof- The owner wants tin, there's no accounting for taste. I was wondering what the slate would be worth on the salvage market. It is a combination of green,grey, black and red, six inches by twelve inches. The size is approximate because I've only made a cursory examination from the ground. Thanks

admin
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Contact Durable Slate. They have people in NO and may be able to give you an idea of what salvaged slate is going for down there

Durable Slate Co., 1050 N. Fourth St., Columbus OH 43201; Ph: 614-299-5522 or 800-666-7445; Fx: 614-299-7100; Email; www.durableslate.com

Remod
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm looking for about 120 sf of blackboard-type slate for some wall covering. The bigger the pieces the better. Don't really care if it's used as long as in good condition and not attached to anything. I'm in the Chicago area. Any ideas?
Thanks

Marcey
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Old slate blackboards for sale, 30 pieces apprx. 3'x'5'. 1/4" thick. Came out of an old schoolhouse. Call (716) 648-3020.

ritapage
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking to buy slate blackboard, 2' wide to hang on back of door. Must be good quality for drawing with chalk. Thank you.
ritapage@sover.net or 802.457.9999 phone or 802.457.9929 fax.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try Marcy at 1-716-648-3020 she said they had USED black boards for sale!

connie wakefield
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two pieces of natural slate which I'd like to use as blackboards. Do I need to coat them with anything first?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration