Cost for new slate roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofing Costs » Cost for new slate roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Joseph Bazikos
Username: Mbazikos

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephanie, I am sure Unfading Black slate from Virginia is not hard to purchase, it is still quarried today. It is a very high quality slate. If you buy it salvaged, you will save quite a bit of money over new. In my opinion, it is very overpriced when high quality Vermont slate is much cheaper. Vermont slate is also more decorative because of its color variety. If money were no object, by all means go for Virginia slate, but if you have to economize, even unfading Vermont slate is quite a bit less and looks awesome.

Thomas Massie
Intermediate Member
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried to buy VA slate from the Virginia Slate Company. They sell only imported roof slate, but they will not tell you this. In fact, I believe they intentionally try to mislead potential buyers into thinking they sell domestic roof slate. For instance, they brag about their quarries in Va, but will not tell you that they do not mine roofing slate from those quarries. Just ask if you can pick it up at the quarry.

You can buy VA slate from Buckingham Virginia Slate Corporation (a different company with a similar name), but I have read not so good things (on this board) about the current slate they are quarrying. For instance,
http://jenkinsslate.com/messages/messages/84/288.html?1118242091
It also costs more than other domestic slate.

I finally decided to buy Vermont slate, where it seems to me there is enough competition and supply that a cautious shopper can get a good quality product. The price is cheaper and the slate is beautiful with more color choices. I bought thicker slate from VT and feel good about the prospects for longevity. (I'm certain it'll outlast me!) I bought mine from Camara Slate and I'm happy with the product.

I've heard that the going rate for an installed slate roof is $1000 to $2000 a square, but the quote I was given was a lot closer to $2000 than $1000. A year or two ago, Vt slate was just under $400/sq (just materials) and Va slate was over $500.

Hope this helps!
-Thomas

Stephanie Troyer
Username: Niff

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our 1920s dutch colonial house is due for a new roof. We currently have 2 layers of asphalt shingles. We are considering replacing with slate (it had slate on originally).

Roughly, what are ballpark per square materials & labor prices these days for slate? Also, we had heard that VA slate is hard to come by these days.... is this correct? We live in VA (norfolk).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration