Moss on asbestos shingles Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Asbestos Roofs » Moss on asbestos shingles « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 988
Posted on Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not really, If you look at the roof, I am sure you will notice that there is no moss beneath any copper flashing's or possibly lead pipe boots. The metal salts kill the moss and algae. That is why I told you to use a copper sulfate solution. Any of them will do it, but the best is sunlight and no moisture. Hard to do with a lot of trees. Good luck.

Crescere (Crescere)
Username: Crescere

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, thanks. Is there a chemical treatment you can recommend to preserve the asbestos shingles so they last longer? Is there any maintenance I should be doing?

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 987
Posted on Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would get one of the snow rakes that they use to pull snow off the roofs in the winter. They are light and you could just pull it down the roof and bring the moss with it. Any copper sulfate solution will kill it. Maybe a combination of the rake and the solution. Good luck.

If all else fails, leave it alone. It will probably last the longest if that is what you do.

Crescere (Crescere)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No there are no leaks when I look up from the attic. If it is just cosmetic I do not worry about that, but I have read that the moss will eventually push the shingles up and cause leaks. Is that true? I would not want to step on the roof to use a wonder bar because I would break the shingles. How do you go about avoiding that? The trees are on the property next door, so I cannot cut them down. I have trimmed as best I can.

Is there any spray or chemical I can use to extend the life of the shingles?

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 786

Posted on Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have had no problem popping the moss off asbestos shingles with a flat wrecking bar (wonder bar).

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 986
Posted on Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, bleach will kill it, and I have seen some videos of a solution for cleaning off the moss. Is the roof leaking? If it is not leaking, then it is only a cosmetic thing, and you can just leave it alone if you want to. they don't make the asbestos slates any more and they are getting hard to get for repairs. Can you cut down some of the trees? The sunlight is the best thing to stop the moss growth.

Crescere (Crescere)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I just discovered this forum. My house was built in the 1930s and it has asbestos shingles on it. There are many trees around and there is moss growing on various parts of it. I tried the Bayer moss remover, but it only turned the moss brown . I cannot loosen it even after going over it with a broom. No I did not step on the roof; I just used a ladder and dragged the broom over all the brown moss. Can I use bleach to kill the moss?

Also, is there a chemical I can use to coat the roof to preserve it?

Thank you all who help.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration