1950 Asbestos roof and Insurance prob... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Asbestos Roofs » 1950 Asbestos roof and Insurance problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Worried in FL
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all. We are interested in buying a home built in 1950. It has an asbestos shingle roof in good condition. The inspector said the roof has 15+ years of life expectancy. Problem is, insurance is getting pretty hard to come by in FL these days. Nearly all carriers want a roof no more than 30 yrs old. Asbestos roofs are not on insurance underwriter's list of 'lifetime' roofs. Getting to my questions.

What can I do (besides replacing the roof) to make this place insurable? Would 'updating' the roof be sufficient? What is the cost associated with something like this? We are scheduled to close on the 30th, if we can get insured.. any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my professional experience (over 50yrs.) unless your roof has problems with the flashing and etc.. you should get more out of an asbestos tile roof than 65yrs. more like 100-125yrs. That would add 50-75yrs. onto roof life expectancy. Please note that I haven't veiwed your roof this is just from a professional stand point that we see as a standard for roof "asbestos roofs" life expectancy. Really all that can go wrong for you after 50yrs. is the flashings which is even standard on a ceramic tile or slate roof. When I say flashings I mean valleys, chimney, wall and any other metal flashings you may have. Hope this helps. Did you get ahold of a professional roofer with asbestos tile experience or a "all purpose" home inspector? It could make a differance.

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yea one more thing if they don't call a 100-125 year roof a lifetime roof than what is. And at 50yrs. old your roof still has more life (and alot more life in it I may add) than if they put on a new 40-50 year inferior shingle (asphalt that is) roof. With the constant beating of the heat in FL. a 40-50 year asphalt shingle roof will only last about 30-35 years (I seen it) And the asphalt shingles roofs are MORE prone to blow off. You've got a good roof, keep it.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you want to get your asbestos roof reconditioned, go here http://www.asbestos1.com and checkout what they do and they give warranties. They can make an asbestos roof out-last a slate roof.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration