Asbestos Roof Life Span Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Asbestos Roofs » Asbestos Roof Life Span « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Jenkins (Admin)
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

45 yars is generally much too young for an asbestos roof to be ready for replacement.

Joe Jenkins

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our house is 45 years old and has its original asbestos roof. We've experienced a few minor leaks and one roofer says the entire roof needs replacing, while others have yet to find the problem, but seem to think the roof is ok.

What is the lifespan for an asbestos tile roof? Isn't 45 years too young for it to call it quits?

m. schwemler
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a victorian era home in Philadelphia with an asbestos tile roof that is probably 40-50 years old. Until I researched the topic with the aid of this website I did not even know it was permitted to undertake repairs on such roofs--I was told it was replace or nothing.

I am wondering if anyone could provide me with references to experienced roofers in this area that could do some moderate repairs. Thanks.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 07:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look under the contractors directory by state. You should look under PA., NY, NJ, hopefully you can find one to assist you. This is really kind of late in the WORK year to find someone, almost everyone I know in this business is swamped this time of year. But, good luck you have a great roof with alot of life left in it, as long as you find a true professional slate and tile roofing contractor to perform the needed repairs and maintenance.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My wife and I are considering purchasing a house that has "belgian tile with an asbestos component". The house is 115 years old and we are told that the asbestos roof tile is probably the original roof tile. The owners had the roof looked at, and were told that the tiles were in good condition and would last another 100 years. Does this sound correct?

admin
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is Belgium (sp?) roof tile? I am not familiar with that one.

Maybe contact Custom Tile Roofing, Inc., 2875 West Hampden Avenue, Englewood, Colorado 80110; ph: 303-761-3831; FAX 303-761-3839; Email; Our website: www.customtileroofing.com; Vincent H. Hobson, President [2-23-05]

see http://www.slateroofcentral.com/asbestos-tiles.html

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An asbestos roof can last up to 600 years, yes that's right 600 years. About every thirty years it should be cleaned and recoated ( by a company that is certified in the cleaning of asbestos and the installation, in case there are broken, cracked or missing ones. This is the only known company to know how to do both and they have the only known asbestos coating that works. Hit this link to check out their website: http://www.asbestos1.com

slateman
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What kind of drugs are you on?There is no way an asbestos roof could last a fourth of that length of time.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey slateman, this is Asbestosman and they already have lasted a fouth of that lenth of time without treatment.

Asbstos care center
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slateman is still in the stone age. With all the new technology I'm sure they can last that long, if not longer.

slateman
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're talking about some covering which has to be applied often lasting that long ,not the material itself.
I removed a 90 year old asbestos roof this Summer and replaced with slate.
The old roof was shot.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, what is all the beef about asbestos roofing, who cares. Who in their right mind would put on a new asbestos roof, WHO???????? It sounds to me Jim is doing more to try and convince himself of asbstos worth than us. OKAY Jim it's a good roof it does have long life span but come on 600 years you're out your mind. We work on alot of asbestos roofing, and they are a decent roof. They are better than asphalt shingles (in my opinion) but slate NO WAY-NOT EVEN CLOSE. Slate dosen't need a miracle covering to last a couple hundred years. PEACE

mjh
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How could anybody make a claim for an asbestos roof lasting 600 years? Just because a roof has reached 100 years it does'nt mean it can last another 500. I've worked on asbestos roofs that where about 60 years old that seemed fairly soft.

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 02:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Asbestos fibre/cement shingles have not and will not last over 200 years. Asbestos in it's purest form can last forever, but cement "washes out" after years of water runoff, causing the tile to deteriorate. Fifty percent of people have the genes capable of developing asbestosis(cause of mesotheleoma) from asbestos exposure. Chemical coats and combo's are toxic and bad for the enviroment. Spend your money wisely, GO NATURAL!!

LA Contractor
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 02:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Licensed and Insured contractor in New Orleans area currently performing specialty roof repairs. Have asbestos tiles (multiple styles) stocked in abundance. If you are in need of an asbestos roof repair or know someone who is, please contact me via e-mail. Company staff includes prior insurance adjusters who have years of experience in consulting property loss insurance claims for property owners, so concern about proper insurance allotment of funds to get the job done right is obsolete. We are ready to assist,and looking foward to speaking with you.
Thanks,
Randall Bryant

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are people just Stupid? Think about how long concret surfaces have been inside of stuctures. Take that same concrete and mix it with an asbestos fiber and put a coating on it, it is then out of the elements of the weather. As long as you re-coat it as needed it can last 600 years.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The cement wouldn't wash out is it was coated and if you people would just to do your research, you would find that all asbestos roofing had a color coating on it when it was manufactured. I bet your still looking for the cord to your remote control to your TV too.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking at a 107 year old asbestos shingle roof that had been hit by hail. The hail knocked off meldew and I believe possibly the very upper layer of the shingle material, leaving a uniform pattern of marks on all surfaces of the roof.

Will the marks weather in so that the shingles do not need to be replaced?

Will the loss of the upper layer of material significantly affect the service life of the shingles?

Could the hail, although not chipping or breaking the edges of the shingle, still break the undelying, hidden and protected upper corner of the shingles.

Could the hail, without having caused holes or structural damage to the shingles cause new roof leaks?

Thanks

admin
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like the effect was mainly cosmetic. If the shingles aren't damaged, then you should have little to worry about.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration