Buying a house with an 81 year old as... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Asbestos Roofs » Buying a house with an 81 year old asbestos cement tile roof. What to do? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 716
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is something about looking at about 10,000 roofs that you can pretty much tell what is right and wrong. Lucky guess!

Mr_drew (Mr_drew)
Username: Mr_drew

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Old_school, this advice is incredibly reassuring. What you said is pretty much exactly what the slate roof repair guy told me. I'm looking into having the chimney repointed.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 715
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks like your problems are in the order of: Getting the chimney rebuilt with a new cap with at least an 1 1/2 " overhang and a drip edge. It is in bad shape. After you have done this, splurge and install a new chimney flashing and counter/flashing. The leak by the lower ridge looks like it may be coming from the flat deck right next to it. The leak under the dormer you showed looks like it was coming from the stack pipe flashing next the valley above it. I believe it has been repaired before. All in all, I would say the roof on that house is much better than 90% of the new shingle roofs installed today. Why mess it up?

Have to be careful when working on the slates to keep from breaking them. that is going to be the trick.

Mr_drew (Mr_drew)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are some more photos.
https://picasaweb.google.com/105507176034906868870/CloseupOf6117LawyersHillRoof? authkey=Gv1sRgCLfBi9S3ybLiugE

I got all the flashing I could see from the ground. There is only one valley I couldn't get, and I couldn't get the side of the chimney facing the front of the house. I captioned the pictures that are above active leaks.

The roof inspector (who was from a slate roof company) said everything he could see had proper flashing, but a lot of it had tar on it.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 713
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The roof looks to be in great shape for being 81 years old. I would bet that the chimney is the major leakage point and it looks like it needs to have a new cap poured with a drip edge built in to keep the water off the brick. I would imagine it needs to be pointed also. Kind of hard to see the condition of the flashing at the roof line, but I would imagine that needs some attention to. It will be hard to get up there to have that work done as the asbestos is brittle and it tends to crack easily.

I would almost bet that you also have a leak on one of the bathroom vent pipes that stick through the roof. Is the flat deck an area where the water is showing up? Is that flat deck part of the original house?

Asbestos slates were very good until they took out the asbestos fibres. that is what caused JohnsManville to declare bankruptcy. As far as how much life is left in them, that could vary. Don't worry about the moss as it is not hurting anything and to try and take it off would cause a lot more damage. If they can fix the chimney without breaking everything up, I would say you could get another 15 - 20 years out of it.

Take a few more pictures and show the chimney from a couple of directions and also zoom in on the flashing. Also the stack pipe flashing.

Mr_drew (Mr_drew)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a house under contract to purchase. It was built in 1930. It has an asbestos cement roof. The current owner bought it in 1948. She says the roof was on it then. The home is in central Maryland.

Here are some pictures.

https://picasaweb.google.com/105507176034906868870/RoofOn6117LawyersHillRd?authk ey=Gv1sRgCOGEt6yFgZWXcQ

There are three active leaks in the roof. I have the house under contract, and I am still in the inspection period. I can walk away from the deal with no penalty if I don't like anything that turns up in the inspection. I can negotiate a price reduction. The home was listed as having a slate roof.

Here are some questions for any knowledgeable people out there:
1. How much useful life is left in this roof?
2. How much would it cost to remove this roof, given that it is asbestos?
3. If it's restorable, are there any places where I can get similar replacement tiles?
4. What would be good options for a new roof? This may be the original roof, would the house support a real slate roof if it was designed for asbestos tile originally? This is an historic property, and I would like to have an appropriate roof.

Thanks,
Drew.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration