Need Advise about removing asbestos r... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Asbestos Roofs » Need Advise about removing asbestos roof HELP! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We are certified in asbestos removal, so I'm familiar with pricing, and $30,000 is a pretty high figure unless your house is very, very large. However, I don't know the laws in RI. In some states such as Ohio, a homeowner can remove asbestos without any repercussions, while a contractor needs the double bags, contacting the DOT with manifests, etc. You should get some more estimates.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 434
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In Michigan, we have to fill out a complete set of manafests as to where it is coming from and who the contractor is and who the owner of the property is, plus who the waste disposal company that is hauling it is. We can use a dumpster, but it has to be covered and it costs about 3 times as much to have it dumped. Like Slate Man says, they have a hole dug for it when it gets to the landfill and they cover it right up. No bagging required as it is not friable. We are careful not to break them as they are coming off, but it is just a tearoff in all other respects. We wet it down and put it into the dumpster. Sounds like they are trying to hose him if you ask me, but then again I don't know what the laws are in your state. It comes out of the ground, so I think it is just a big charades game they are playing.

Look for fibreglas insulation to be the next product on the out. What a bunch of crap!IMHO

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 593
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well you should see what the law is on removal of the asbetos in Vermont the shiagle can be removed be contractor and need to be tripled bag then you need to call a landfill to make time for them to dumped and cover it quickly. so start with the state laws to see if they are pulling your leg.

Beckyangel1944 (Beckyangel1944)
Username: Beckyangel1944

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My brother lives in R.I. in an 80-yr old 3 story house (gable roof) which has 40% chrysotile roof tiles. Roof has many leaks. He was told it would cost $30,000 for removable/disposal of tiles and then additional $15,000 (approx.) to replace with shingles. He doesn't have that kind of money so will have to take out a loan ?? Where can he find a reputable contractor or whoever else to give him good advise? Estimates and opinions have been all over the place. Any suggestions or help will be so much appreciated.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration