Encapsulation of asbestos roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Asbestos Roofs » Encapsulation of asbestos roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eric. I was just kidding about the shingles, but I have seen that done. Stupid goes all the way down to the bone I swear! I have seen the old asbestos slates in many colors, but they will all eventually wear out and become the gray color. If you look beneath the overlap surface, you will be able to see what color they were originally. The colors were not bright, but they did have some.

Does the roof leak now? If it just has a few broken tiles, I am sure you can get some replacements. The reclain centers have some. I might even have a few, it depends on what they are. The problem with "encapsulating" what you have is that you are going to have to get all around on the roof to do it and you ARE going to break some or many. You WILL have more leaks. I know that the coatings will do some waterproofing, but I think you are going to make more problems than what you solve. The coatings are not cheap either. I have no good answer for you. Some of the others might. Good Luck!

Ericmartin (Ericmartin)
Username: Ericmartin

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for a good ENCAPSULATION approach.
I have a few tiles to deal with. I see recommendations for primer and paint, ZHenrys roof emulsion and silver coating and HY-Tech makes a product to ENCAPSULATE asbestos dement tiles. WHATS the best solution??? ALSO,
what was the original tile COLOR?? I see grey/black.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Put ahingles over it. That is the common way around here. Course, when the nails go through it will break everyone beneath it and they will slide out, but it will be covered. Truely, I have seen that before.

Ericmartin (Ericmartin)
Username: Ericmartin

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

after many years, someone told me the roof is cement with asbestos. I cannot afford to replace the roof as I have been a victum of the recession. I want to encapsulate. I see differnt
approaches. The usual one is primer and topcoat.
What about Henry roof products. Is there a BEST way???, another way???tahnks in advance,eric

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration