How can you tell if your roofing shin... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Asbestos Roofs » How can you tell if your roofing shingles are Asbestos? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering how you can tell if shingles are Asbestos. We have a lock and tab type shingle are all lock and tabs asbestos? We have lived in this house for 14 years. We never thought that we had an asbestos roof (in fact, I never heard of one until this week) until someone who recently received their real estate liscense came over and said, I think your roof is Abestos.
It looks as thought the shingles have a course texture (like asphalt) they are grey with black underneath and black specks. I know you can probably not tell me anything from this description. I was wondering if you could direct me toward finding out if it is. Thank you for your time.

Walter Musson
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never seen locking tab shingles that are asbestos,the material is not conducive to taking that shape.You probably have an asphalt shingle that is 40 or so years old.
You can take a sample and have it lab tested if you want absolute verification of it's content.

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can see photos of asbestos roofs at http://www.jenkinsslate.com/photos_asbestos.htm

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration