NEED SOMEONE TO REPAIR MY ASBESTOR TI... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Asbestos Roofs » NEED SOMEONE TO REPAIR MY ASBESTOR TILE ROOF « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought I had posted a message last night, but cannot find it, so apparently it did not reach the board.

I need repairs of tiles and probably the flashings of an asbestos shingle roof on my 1904 home in the Alexandria, Louisiana area. It is on the National Register, and I don't want to change or modernize anything that can possibly be restored/repaired. From reading these boards I have gleaned that there are competent individuals who work in the south in the winter. I would like to speak with parties interested in working this far south this winter.

My husband and I would go so far as to provide lodging and meals in addition to paying for the services of the right (passionate about restoration) individual, depending upon work and character references, of course. The old place will eventually become a B&B anyway so we might as well start now!

Please contact veracrum@aol.com if you "Have Skill-Will Travel." I am desperate not to rip off my vintage roof and replace it with modern materials. There has to be someone out there somewhere who shares this view.

Thanks,
Barb & Bill

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am desperately trying to find someone to repair my asbestos slate roof in Springfield, Missouri. Our state doesn't even list on your web-site. I had a roofer out here who definitely does not know what to do. Do you have any suggestions?

Sheila

Jason Winfrey
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sheila
I am a roofing contractor from the St. Louis area.
My passion is slate, tile. asbestos, and copper. I have many pictures and referances and would be happy to help. I also have old asbestos tiles in stock.

Jason Winfrey @ Jayco Roofing & Construction
314-574-8586

Clayton S.
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason Winfrey,
I am needing an estimate for replacing the copper chimney flashing on an diamond asbestos tile roof. One chimney on a 12/12 roof, two-stories high. Could you give me a ball park figure of a job like this? I am thinking about contracting this out if it is a reasonable price. Thanks, claytonvon@hotmail.com Bonne Terre, MO

Jason Winfrey
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clayton,
I just e-mailed you with some questions, but i'm not sure if it went through. If not, please let me know and I'll try again.
Thank You, Jason Winfrey @ Jayco Roofing 314-574-8586

Marc Odrich
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am in the Riverdale Section of the Bronx, NY and am looking for someone to service my Asbestos Roof. Please contact me at odrich@yahoo.com.

Maggie Smith
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need a roofer who is qualified to repair an asbestos roof in the San Fernando area of Los Angeles, California. Zip code is 91307. My email address is dartra64@yahoo.com.

nicole Hollant-Denis
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 01:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roofer needed to repair a tile roof in the Bronx, NY
Time of course is of the essence!!!!!!!
for Jude and Michael

David & Susan Neal
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband & I have purchased and are renovating an older home (built in 1930) with an asbestos-tile roof that's original to home. We are looking for a skilled craftsman in the Houston, Texas area (we're centrally located in Med Center) that can properly replace broken & missing tiles. We want to restore the roof, definitely not replace it. Someone who uses the proper techniques outlined in Joe Jenkins website. We've spoken to Jim Johannes with Mr. Clean Pressure Washing (a frequent poster to this message board) in Ohio who is willing to travel and sounds like he knows his tile roofs but we'd like to get some bids from local contractors (in part because we don't have the almost $1K travel honorarium required by a traveling roofer and also in part because I'm not really looking to coat/seal my roof). We may be interested in pressure washing it but for right now - really just properly repair it. Any suggestions other than looking in the yellow pages? Thanks for the help.

James Johannes
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re: Susan Neal; This is Mr. Johannes of the Mr Clean Pressure Washing Company. I recall speaking to you on the phone about your asbestos roof. I would like to thank you for speaking highly of my company and myself. As I had stated on the phone, the $950.00 is mainly the fuel cost to get us to your location. I am sorry if we are too expensive, but I would still like to help you in anyway I can. I know you would just like to have the cleaning done and we do not recommend that. After reading the rest of this and if you still only want the cleaning, we will honor your wishes. Your asbestos roofing had a coating on it when it was manufactured and that coating is what protected the asbestos from the elements of the weather. As the asbestos sheeting was exposed to the sunlight and weather it became oxidized and started to retain water. At this time algae, bacteria and moss grew on the topside. By cleaning it we will remove the layers of soot and we will remove the layer of concrete/asbestos film that has been released from the sheeting over time by the weather. Yes, your asbestos will be stripped clean of all foreign debris. The downfall is it will speed up the life expectancy of your roof. It will continue to expand and contract with the changing temperatures and it will oxidize, becoming very chalky within the first year and by the third year, you will be right back where you began. It is a waste of money by only cleaning the asbestos roofing. In the long run, you will have to replace the roof sooner than you would like. You seemed like a very nice person on the phone and I'd hate for you to waste your money. If you would still like for us to clean the roofing only, give us a call and we will give you a price to do so. If at that time you still feel the price is too high or if you would like to find someone local to clean it, we recommend that you use a qualified roofer in your area. They should understand how to pressure wash a roof with water at a low pressure and high heat and it should be done from an aerial lift. (Do not allow anyone to walk the roof with hook ladders). I hope this has helped you.

David & Susan Neal
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi James, Thanks for the followup message & advise regarding powerwashing asbestos tiles. Our main priority is still repairing the broken & missing asbestos tiles on our original 1930 roof so we don't get any more water damage. As I said when we visited back on 2/19/05 - we really don't want to color or seal our tiles (and yes, I know painting is bad for asbestos tiles!) but originally I had also wanted to clean the roof tiles of the accululated debris & mildew-y stuff (the tiles were originally grey and now look almost black) so that's why I contacted you regarding your services. You definitely sound like you know asbestos tiling and know how to repair those types of roofs and I appreciate the time you spent explaining the cleaning and interesting proprietary process you have of sealing the tiles. I'm also sure your $950 travel fee from where you are to Houston is more than fair - it's just that we have so much restoration on this old house (plumbing, electrical, plaster work, repair & refinishing hardwood floors, etc.) - so we need to take that $950.00 and put it towards the actual costs of the repairs - so we need to look for a roofer that is local to the Houston area. After speaking to Leo at Jenkins Slate I have decided not to clean the roof (or at least put that off for now) but we still are looking for suggestions for Houston or surrounding-area roofers that can work with asbestos tile. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks again from everyone for all the advise and input.

Liz Stewart
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for a roofer to repair an asbestos tile roof on a church built in 1952. The building is in southwest New Mexico. The church is a home now but I would rather repair the current roof rather than go through the asbestos abatement and installation of a new roof. Looking for someone who knows asbestos roofs and won't make problems worse. Thanks for any info anyone can provide. I'm so happy to find this message board.

bemorris
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a home in Houston, Texas built in 1928 that is in need of a qualified asbestos tile roofer for some tile repair and replacement and an overall inspection ... can anyone help?

shanameril
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought a home (circa 1920) with an asbestos tile roof in the Albany, NY area. It is covered with moss, but doesn't seem to be in bad shape otherwise. I have not been able to locate a roofer who knows how to handle it without removing it. Does anyone have any reccomendations? Thank you.

admin
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.jenkinsslate.com/directory.html

Susan Neal
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi BeMorris,
I just noticed your July 2005 posting from Joe Jenkins' Slate Roofing Message Board. My apologies for the delay in responding to you.
In case you haven't already found someone to repair your Asbestos Roof, my husband and I finally found a Qualified Craftsman & just had ours properly repaired (using traditional slating methods outlined in Joe Jenkins' Slate Bible, like hook ladders, heavy copper ridging, copper nails, stainless steel slate hooks, solid wood decking - not plywood, etc.). His company is local to the Houston area and he also travels to jobs. He has been in business here in Houston for several decades, has Liability Insurance and guarantees his work for two years. If you are still in need of someone, his company name is Dublin Tile Roofing. The owner is Stephen Ridge and Stephen actually works with his crew on your roof! He had great references (I checked out his residential and commercial references). He usually works with churches and historic venues (those that do a lot of slate and tile). He only works with Slate & Tile (including asbestos slates) and he does not install asphalt shingles. Anyway, Stephen's cell is the best way to reach him 281-217-2759.
Last Spring & early Summer 2005, Dublin Tile did the purple and green slates for the large addition to Holy Rosary Catholic Church in downtown Houston (3600 Travis Street). He perfectly matched the slates from the roof for the church's main building and rectory that was built in 1932. This past summer he did slate restoration for the City of Beaumont. He just got back last week from a job in Destin, Florida (for a homeowner he had worked for in Houston). He finished our job today. He leaves for Mississippi this coming Wednesday. After that he will be doing the slate roof for the big addition to The Woodlands' Methodist Church. That's my only complaint about him - he stays busy and since he is willing to travel to work- you have to schedule him in advance. We had to wait a long time for him to be available but it was worth it. Dublin Tile will be able to give you lots of References and you can talk to the Homeowners & the Churches he has worked for. He even gave us the addresses of the References so we could look at the work he had done. The Neanderthal that originally repaired our 1930s roof 18 months ago used Hardy Plank siding and a glue gun! Dublin Tile's works costs the same as the Neanderthal's crummy repairs so we should have just done it right the first time.
Dublin Tile has stock of asbestos slates (Dutch Lap & Diamond patterns) and Stephen even helped me procure my hard to find slates from Chris Profumo at Durable Slate Company in Ohio who was also terrific! Durable Slate sold me beautiful salvaged slates at a great price. Chris personally searched thru all his salvaged asbestos slates to find me a match. If you need to procure your own replacement slates (we did instead of the slater for budget reasons) - in addition to Durable Slate, I'd also recommend Vince Hobson with Custom Tile Roofing in Colorado, Barry Smith with Smith Slate Roof Restoration and Doug Cochran with Reclaimed Roofs (all listed in the Resources section of this web site). They were all awesome and all of them sent me samples to try and help me match my slates I sent them. I would have loved to do business with any of them if we could have found my unusual slates. Vince even went so far as to try to cut some larger slates down to size to get me a better match. Vince, Barry & Doug were professional, informative and extremely helpful. Really decent, trustworthy guys.
If you are really into restoration you may want to check out Historic Houston on West Clay. Lynne & Sydney (the founders) of this local non-profit organization have been really helpful to us in our home's restoration. As an informational resource they're great and the Salvage Warehouse is terrific too. They even teach relevant classes at Rice University. Lynne & Sydney gave me the name of another Houston slater,Paul Gollub. Paul did former Mayor Fred Hofheinz's slate repairs (his River Oaks home). We didn't use Paul because we had already decided on Dublin Tile but Paul seemed to know what he was talking about. If you are even moderately serious about maintaining your roof - you should purchase Joe Jenkins' Slate Roofing Bible so you are well-versed when you are interviewing roofers. We wish we had bought Joe's book before we let the Neanderthal messup (I mean repair) our roof.
Anyway, you're welcome to come look at my beautifully restored roof. It's a few blocks from First Presbyterian Church on Main Street, which also has an Asbestos slate roof. Just call my cell (I'll email you that number).
Best of luck on your roof repair and kudos to you for trying to restore your original 1928 roof. It's part of Houston's history and with proper maintenance should last you your lifetime as opposed to maybe 20 years at most for an asphalt shingle roof.
Take care & Blessings, Susan Neal

Jeff Knutson
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
Anyone know where to find saved salvaged asbestos siding tiles. I was told once about aplace in the Minniapolis St Paul area, but have been unable to find it. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Much
Jeff Knutson

admin
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a source list at http://jenkinsslate.com/asbestos-tiles.html.

Joe

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration