Leaking asbestos roof in New Orleans Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Asbestos Roofs » Leaking asbestos roof in New Orleans « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alex P
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a house built in 1947 with an asbestos tile roof in the New Orleans area that leaks during really bad weather, and really looks worn. I have seen leaks in more than one spot inside my attics. I have been unable to find any contractors willing to repair it, and pretty much resigned to have it replaced. Here's my problem: The contractor says the decking behind it is 1x with 1/8"-1/2" gaps, so in order to use regular shingles, redecking is needed. Are there any other type of shingles / slates that will be able to make use of the existing decking? Redecking adds so much to cost of installing regular shingles, that I would rather spend the money in better roofing material. Thanks!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

admin
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1/8" to 1/2" gaps in the roof decking are *not* a problem for slate roofs.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration