Valley flashing and slate roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Asbestos Roofs » Valley flashing and slate roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

chris nelson
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a slate roof on my English cottage style house( built in 1923) and I have two questions.
1. Why were the slates covered with asbestos ?
2. The copper valley flashings are all but worn out and in the last 20 years have been patched with roofing cement at least 4 times and just the last big rain we had there was a lot of water coming through the ceiling into my sons bedroom. Checking the attic it still looks like the copper valleys are leaking. The roofer says that he cannot slide new flashing under the slates as the slates are nailed too close to the edge. Is the any way around this? Is there no way to seal the old flashing? The roof guy wants to replace the whole roof and I am trying to avoid this if possible. Any ideas?
Thanks

Walter Musson
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 04:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your roofer will have to remove "slates" on either side of the valley to enable the old copper to be removed,then install the new valleys.They must then reshingle what they have removed,and will in all liklihood need some extra materials to make up for breakage during the removal process,since you say much tar was used.

admin
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like you have an asbestos shingle roof (not a slate roof - asbestos was never added to slate in any way).

We routinely replace valleys on asbestos roofs. The old valleys must first be removed as Walter explained. The tiles on each side of the valley are removed, the old metal is taken out, new metal is installed, and the same tiles are put back in the same place, with any broken ones being replaced in the process.

If you do not have replacement tiles, cannabalize a section of roof that is not very visible. Take the slates off a dormer roof side, for example, use them for the repairs, then cover the dormer roof section with slate, or with other used asbestos shingles (sources of which are listed on this web site).

Most roofers don't have much experience with asbestos roofs and will do everything they can to talk you into ripping it off and replacing it. Same for slate roofs. There are some photos of asbestos roofs at http://www.jenkinsslate.com/photos_asbestos.htm

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration