Looking for ridge pieces Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Asbestos Roofs » Looking for ridge pieces « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul P. Price, Jr.
Posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am rehabing a 1936 building in Winnsboro, Louisiana. It has a "diamond" asbestos roof, and I have managed to find enough of those to make my repairs. What I can't find, though, are the ridge pieces. These pieces are about 14-16" in length, form a 90 degree angle, with each leg about 4.5 to 5" long. One end is slightly raised to allow the adjoining end to slip under. The color is, I think, a dark rust color that's aged for the past 70 years, but color is not an issue.

Does anyone out there know where I could find some of these? I don't need many -- perhaps as few as 50. Would greatly appreciate any info anyone can offer.

Thanks,
Paul Price, Jr.
Winnsboro, Louisiana

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you checked http://www.jenkinsslate.com/asbestos-tiles.html?

You can also remove the existing ridge pieces and replace them with copper ridge. You'll have to drill the ridge for nail holes, then drill the asbestos tiles with s different (masonry) bit before nailing.

Paul Price, Jr.
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe --
Yes, I checked the website and emailed 3-4 of the guys listed... heard back from Michael in Alabama who said the tile I'm looking for doesn't exist. I sent a couple of photos to him. So, I'm still looking; maybe an alternative would be to buy new tiles and install them, which would be a nice outline of the building. I just don't know.

Thanks for responding.

Joe
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try emailing craftgroup@aol.com or call 901-870-1137. He has 76 pieces of what you're looking for, I think.

Paul Price, Jr.
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe --

Sent craftgroup an email, with a photo. Thanks so much for the tip. Hope you are right!

Paul

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration