Life expectancy of asbestos transite ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Asbestos Roofs » Life expectancy of asbestos transite roof tiles « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 07:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, he said no, but then again, he seemed to be talking about a different size too. He said something about one being 10 inches on the short side and one 12" these are 8 inches. I don't know for sure.

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's a shame. I have a bunch of it in New Orleans too!! Eric doesn't have any?

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, I talked with Steve FIRST! He said he located some on the East coast, but the freight would eat us up;. Looking for someone that has some closer to me that I could pick up. You have no idea how many of those I have thrown away!!!Sheesh!

John_chan (John_chan)

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,

Those are American Colonial asbestos shingles. Check with Steve at 614-205-8761.

John

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a job I am working on that has the asbestos shingle tiles on it. 30 inches long with the center being 14 inches wide and the ends at 8 inches. A slightly staggered bottom. I need some more to finish the repairs. Does anyone here have any? I am in Kalamazoo, Michigan. thanks

John_chan (John_chan)

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are several different types of asbestos roofs. There is the type that lays like slate with a headlap, and the American Colonial lays like a shingle. These two types don't rely on the paper at all. The dutch lap and the diamond shapes are the ones that rely on felt paper in wind driven rains. If your roof is only 40-45 years old, however, the paper should still be good. From what I've seen, felt paper generally lasts between 50+ to 90+ years.

Just like slate roofs, many regular roofers and home inspectors don't have much experience with them, and try to cover their behinds. I've seen a number of asbestos roofs here in New Orleans, where people were told their roofs were bad when they needed less than 5 replacement pieces.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 213
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think it makes much difference. If you are dealing with a huricane, not much of anything is going to make any difference.

Lionbar (Lionbar)
Username: Lionbar

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does felt paper's usefulness to an Asbestos cement roof end when the finished roof is in place as it does for slate? I recently had a buyer cancel their contract to buy my home in New Orleans because their house inspector said my Asbestos cement roof (circa 1965) has a "limited life" remaining due to old felt paper. A local roofing contractor also said that the condition of the felt paper was important due to wind driven rain possibly getting past the 3.5" overlap or even permeating the shingle itself.

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 360

Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have quite a few asbestos roofs here in the northwestern PA area that were installed in the 1920s. We do maintenance work on them. They're still hanging in there.

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there may be a lot of products on the market making claims but if you really want to be fair to your customer, natural slate is the only material that has proven a similar lifespan. replacing a 90yr old roof with unproven plastic or painted galvilume would be unfair to say the least. natural slate itself is actually cheaper than lamarite. there are big outfits that charge celebrity prices but there are still humble slaters out there. you had enough sense to come to the best place for an answer for a question like that, now just put pieces next to each other and compare apples to apples, you'll see the clear choice. good luck!

Walter_musson (Walter_musson)
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BFSmith,
Atas I believe makes a diamond shaped metal shingle that approaches the look of the diamond shaped asbestos that is on the roof now.
There are not many alternatives to achieve that look that are available in the marketplace now.

Old_school (Old_school)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To BFSMITH

You could install regular slates that have the corners clipped off. That would give the same effect as what was originally applied. some of the old asbestos slates were pretty thick and heavy.

Gcb (Gcb)
Username: Gcb

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr Jenkins I see that in a recent chat session you stated that Asbestos Roofing lasts 75-100 years is there any documentation or any articles that you have written that state how long asbestos lasts? The reason I ask is because you are the most qualified individual that I can find anywhere that can give an honest opinion on this matter. Thanks

Slateworks (Slateworks)
Username: Slateworks

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Salvaged Slate would be far better then the choices you have stated plus they should not be allowed into true historic districts-- We are replacing a Lamarite roof that is only 1.5 years old- over 200 of them split in half(length wise)..Forget any fiber cement product..there may be a good product out there but of all the imitation slate products I know of not one has worked as stated...You could consider some type of Metal Roofing - standing seam or metal shingles.

Bfsmith (Bfsmith)
Username: Bfsmith

Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am an adjuster handling a claim involving an older home in New Albany, Indiana. The original roof is about 90 years old and appears to be asbestos diamond shaped tiles. We are going to need to replace the entire roof (about 30 squares). My question is, what would be a comparable material to replace this roof with. The home is in a historic district and the insured is adamant that the roof be replaced with a roof that will give the same appearance and last as long as the original. I have heard about fiber cement roofing tiles and EcoStar and Lamarite brands. I want to be fair to the customer but on the other hand, I can't pay for a higher quality roof than what she originally had (in other words, a slate roof). If anyone can give me some advice on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old_school (Old_school)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No idea here. I remember in the 60's we used to install a lot of Johns-Manville shingles and they still made the Asbestos Slates back then. Not too long afterwards they were hit with the Asbestos suits and they went bankrupt. Several companies tried to make the same product without the asbestos fibres and they all failed miserably. Even if the Asbestos tiles had a 50 year warantee, none of them are made anymore and the companies that used to make them are out of business.

There are a lot of the dutch lapped asbestos slates still on roofs in Kalamazoo, Someone installed a lot of it over the original wood shingles on houses here in town after WWII, so they are about 60 years old. As long as you stay off from them and they are not leaking, they will last a long time.

Gcb (Gcb)
Username: Gcb

Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does anybody have any warranty from back in the day or something in writing that states how long asbestos roofs are suppose to last?

Joe Jenkins

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Asbestos shingles made in the 1920s proved to have a life expectancy of at least 75 years, maybe 100. American Transite Shingles, however, is a company I never heard of and I'm not aware of their product's longevity.

Arnon Gurman
Username: Arnongurman

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not concerned with what the Insurance Co will probably go by such as the product warrenty. I am just interested in the "Life Expectancy" of Americana Transite Shingles made of 65 % Chrysotile Asbestos.

Joe Jenkins

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The insurance company will probably go by the product warranty. If it's warranted for 40 years, then they expect that to be the life expectancy.

Arnon Gurman
Username: Arnongurman

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My roof is located in Southern California ( Los Angeles ) My roof has suffered a wind loss. The Insuance Co. ( Allstate Insurance ) states a 40 years life expectancy with a age and condition of 30 years. I believe they are pie in the sky numbers to increse the depreciation hold-back ( a whooping 75 % )on replacement materials. Can an expert give me realistics figures with documentation Or, is the Insurance Company's figure within the norm?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration