Asbestos leak-help Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Asbestos Roofs » Asbestos leak-help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Karen Bush
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We own a home built in 1929 with an asbestos roof. There are 2 places where it leaks one right above the back door and one in our son's bedroom. The only time the bedroom leaks is when the rain is blown up underneath some raised shingles. Can you tell me if we can just seal around the raised shingles with this GE Silicon II stuff. We can't find anyone that will help us. Are you aware of anyone in the central Ohio area that can repair our roof or have suggestions for us?

Tim Dittmar
Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Karen- the best repair usually is of the quality rated "permanent"- that means restored as best can be to original- if your shingles are unbroken but just raised because of some fault with the decking?- it might be good to attempt to reinforce the fastening of the decking(to stop it from getting worse) or replace a board or two(after removing a few shingles) and then put the shingles back possibly with slate-like techniques that can be found by exploring this site- if some of your shingles are damaged/probably leaking... you may be able to "back" them with copper or some weather resistant thin material and therefore not suffer a visual blemish in the repaired area- going in the attic during a rainstorm might help to "pin down" the likely spot/s- plastic sheeting can be spread to catch leaks of indeterminate origin- I hope this may help you to inspire a smart enough roofer to help- I don't care much for silicone, personally, but there may be something(the key terms are highly adhesive and very flexible- silicone is less than optimum in these regards- I've found appreciation for elastomeric/latex caulk) else to caulk with that'll abate this problem for awhile- once a temporizing program is begun, it may take over and really mess up a roof- by that I mean guesswork roofing rather than informed analysis/targeted specfic irregular spots(to be fixed to stay fixed, of course)

admin
Posted on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tim's right. Silicon caulk, or any caulk, is not necessarily the answer to your problem. The tiles (or flashings) in the leaky areas need to be closely inspected and then replaced or properly refastened, if needed. Asbestos tiles often develop hairline cracks (due to someone stepping on them, or a baseball hitting a tile, etc.), and these cracks are invisible from the ground, but will leak. Close inspection will identify the offending tiles and they can then be replaced with matching tiles if you have any. If not, you may have to "cannibalize" a section of your roof (side of a dormer roof for example), removing the tiles to be then used for repairs elsewhere on the roof. The section where the tiles were removed (should be a relatively unseen section) can then be covered with slate (salvaged slates work well for this).

Karen
Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, for your suggestions. I really appreciate the help but I need to find someone who can inspect the roof with the kind of scrutiny that you speak of. There in lies the problem. I have pretty much contacted all the roofers in my area and none of them so far have been willing to even get on a ladder. We live near the Columbus area. Do you know of any roofers that operate in the central Ohio area? I would be most happy to be pointed in the right direction...thanks, again, for your suggestions. I'll print them out just in case...Karen:)

admin
Posted on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Durable Slate is in Columbus. They're listed in the "directory" on this site (there should be a link on the left side of your screen).

Karen
Posted on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried the Durable Slate Company and they told me they do not work on asbestos roofs. But they gave me the name of another roofer that may work on them, Allied Roofing. So I have emailed them to find out. Thanks for the help.

Karen
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Allied Roofing doesn't work on asbestos roofs either. Help! This is getting so frustrating. I need to put a hole in the ceiling of my son's room to see how bad the damage is. Can anyone tell me a range for how much it should cost for a repair verses having to take off the roof. I know you haven't seen my roof but I have no idea at all. Please respond soon so I will have something to go on...thanks!
Karen:)

Clay
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karen, Hang in there! You might try the local ads in your newspaper for handyman services. You might just find a retired person that has much experience in your type of roof. I haven't started the research in my area but I have a 100 year old house with the diamond asbestos tiles that needs new flashing everywhere (8 valleys and two chimneys). I have about 14 small leaks in my attic right now. Invest in plastic tubs and maybe even try to do the repair yourself. The homeowner sometimes does better research and repair methods than some contractors that are not familiar with that roofing. C-ya

Karen Bush
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah! We found someone to repair the roof. Durable Slate gave me the number for Able Roofing in Columbus, OH and the job manager came and took digital pictures of 3 cracked slate that had been repaired in the past that were causing the leak. The company will be able to fix it as soon as the snow quits flying and I am very grateful for all the help and suggestions I received from this message board. Thanks!
Karen:)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration