Can an asbestos slate roof be painted? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Asbestos Roofs » Can an asbestos slate roof be painted? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Johannes
Username: James

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If an asbestos roof is cleaned and recoated, it looks far better than a slate roof. Just look at a few that have been reconditioned. www.asbestos1.com

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can an asbestos roof be painted? Is it recommended for an old roof?

Joe
Posted on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never see a painted asbestos roof. They are fragile roofs and I can't see how one could paint it without breaking the tiles or clogging up the flow of air and water with the paint itself.

James Johannes
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No!!!! not paint. It has been tried and it will peel off. There is a process to coloring it. My name is James Johannes of the Mr. clean Pressure Washing company. We replace broken peices, steam clean with low pressure, applie a coat of (asbestobond) it is an adheisive that our coating sticks to and we have had prenty of roofs done and they are all holding up great since the 1980s. If you would like to see some of them, click this link to one of our pages to see the reconditioning of every type of roofing, including the asbestos. http://mrcleanpressurewashing.com/roofing.html

James Johannes
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

or click here to see only the asbestos roofing with the coatings. http://www.asbestosrestoration.com/

RobCrenshaw
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Asbestos levels must be tested in the shingles or other roofing material before being painted. http://www.asbestostestings.com has detailed listings of all guidelines laid out in the Asbestos Safety and Removal Act.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One more strike (too many) against asbestos roofing. Leave it on and alone. Repair it if needed, don't take it off and if you do you better know what you are doing! If not, you're asking for trouble.

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RobCrenshawch above is pretty much full of crap. he has a scam to test tiles, what a joke.

Jay Pendleton
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a barn with an asbestos roof which is maybe 20 squares and it does not have on broken or missing file on ot and has never had a repair as long as I have been here (60 years). It was put on over an old cedar shake roof in the 20s or 30s. When I was a kid we hit baseballs onto it from 150' back and they made a hell of a lot of noise but no damage! Don't paint it and just hook the tile back on if they come loose. Fragile - I don't think so! Steve McQueen didn't die for nothin'! This is good material (though slate is a lot prettier!)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration