Adding on to house with Asbestos shin... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Asbestos Roofs » Adding on to house with Asbestos shingles « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Susan Morrison
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My name is S Morrison and we live in a house built in 1930 with asbestos shingles. We want to build an addition and have been exploring the removal of asbestos shingles so that the addition and existing house will have matching shingles. We have encountered the obvious contractor problems with removal of the asbestos shingles and have had many comments about how the new roof shingles will dramatically alter the appearance of the house. If we want to retain the original shingles how do we do so without damaging the existing shingles and how can we match the original shingles. Do you know of a contractor in the charleston, SC area who is knowledgeable in applying asbestos shingles?? Thank you for your help.

admin
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can buy used asbestos shingles and even new ones from the suppliers on this site (see "sources of asbestos tiles" on the home page). You can remove and replace your tiles where you need to in order to accommodate your addition, and cut them to fit the new profile of your roof, using tools sold on this site in the "store." The Pearson cutter is a good tool for cutting the tiles (as along a new valley, for example), and slate hooks work well for refastening them to the roof. There is a contractor in NC named Stacy Moore who *may* travel. He's on the contractor directory on this site. Smith in Union City, PA (also on the directory or at 814-438-2717) has a large quantity of new asbestos tiles.

susan morrison
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info. What about substitutes for the diamond asbestos shingles> are there any made to look like the asbestos shingles that could be put on the new addition?? I have contacted several roofing supply sources locally but they have not been much help so far. Thanks. sue

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really don't know of any substitutes that would match. You may be able to find enough asbestos diamond shaped tiles from one of the suppliers on our list (possibly even new ones). You can certainly find some new rectangular ones there. Smith has about 40 squares, I believe. Or else put new slate on the addition.

mbailey
Posted on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have asbestos tiles for sale. They are 12"
grey diamond pattern. Please contact me
at bail1816@bellsouth.net

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration